Thursday, September 11, 2008

Farewell to Summer

Summer is officially over and we are slowly getting back to a normal routine.  I have been a slacker at blogging and I have a bunch of random pictures of us saying, "farewell to Summer." School is back in full swing for all of the boys, and I never gave Colby an official "first day of school" blog entry.  This is probably because he started school this year in JULY- which just didn't seem quite right.  So far, Colby is enjoying his third year and loves all of the clinical and hands on learning that he gets to do. I was less than thrilled when he brought home pigs' feet to suture in our "nursery,"  but Ammon and Carter thought it was great!




As you can see, the "nursery" is now doubling as an office/sewing room/study room/storage room/pigs' feet suturing room. We have a lot of work to do before this baby girl is born.


We have also been trying to take advantage of the last little bit of nice weather before the nasty Iowa Winter hits.  Sunday we went on a LONG walk on the beautiful trails in the area.  Ammon rode his bike and Cart ran almost the entire time, we think there is a possibility of cross country running in his future.


Labor day weekend, we took the boys miniature golfing.



We also talked the Campbells into joining us for a Saturday at Adventureland.  Believe it or not, I took four pictures of these boys together and this is the one that turned out the best.


Ammon also started his fall soccer season.  Colby is coaching Ammon's team this season, which means that Carter also gets to play (at least at practice). Carter loves being one of the big boys and grins from ear to ear while he is playing.


One more picture of the beautiful Iowa trails. 


We hope you have all been enjoying the end of Summer/beginning of Fall as much as we have.

11 comments:

karin said...

The trails are beautiful. I would not be too pleased with a pig's foot in my house, the smell alone would have me feeling yucky. But I guess we do what we have to do to have our husbands/father of our children around.

Susan said...

Oh, goodbye summer. I don't know about you but it went too fast and I'm not quite ready for winter again!! Carter makes me laugh--he has so much energy, I can just picture his little legs a running on that trail!!Good luck at getting your nursery ready--and getting those nasty pigs feet out of the house--that was creepy (Good thing about being a dentist--only somebody's extracted tooth came home--Have fun!!

Celeste Adams said...

It makes me home sick to see the Neal Smith Trail. Remember last summer about this time, we were running around 15-20 miles on it. I miss Iowa, especially my friends. Ammom and Carter are growing up so fast. I can just imagine them going to school and telling Mrs Merritt about how there dad had a dead pigs foot in there little sister's room. Boys are crazy. As for Cannon, I don't know how he came up with the 21 bucks you gave to Ammon. Too Funny! Karlee keeps asking about you too. She talks to you on the phone all of the time. I'll say "Who ya talkin too?" she says "Sauni, its Sauni and Ammin, mommy." I can't believe she still remembers things so well.

Summer said...

For a second there, I thought that pig's foot was a HAND!!! I'm thinking, "WHAT IS HE DOING WITH A CADAVER HAND AT HOME?!!! I was pretty relieved to read it was a pig's foot! Though, that's kinda gross too! HaHaHa!

Looks like you guys have been having fun! I should take my boys mini golfing! Andrew would love that!

The Obergs said...

so did you have to keep the pig foot in the fridge or what!? That looks pretty disturbing... actually at first I thought Colby was just getting ready to eat a sandwich, but after I read what it really was, then it looked gross.

the picture of the 4 boys cracks me up. That is so classic, not one of them is ready and Carter's face is just so freakin' funny. Speaking of Carter, he looks like such a ham in all these pictures. I'm sure all his energy is giving you a run for your money. I don't know how people can be pregnant and have kids they have to attend to. It's mind boggling.

It was good talking to you the other night. Good luck with the dresser situation. It makes me feel better that I don't have the only irrational husband.

Unknown said...

Ew. EW!! I can't even look in the Bag for Composting if it's been out a day. I think this wussiness came with pregnancy. Everything makes me puke still. You are amazing.

Carolee said...

The pig foot is pretty gross.....exactly why I never would make it in the medical field. Good thing Colby isn't going into another field like......neurology or proctology!!! The boys look cute and I am jealous of your fall weather...next week they are forecasting a drop to the low 90's (as opposed to still 100's); but I am not getting my hopes up!!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

What a fun post! Love the nursery/pigs feet/sewing/study/etc. room! Hurry up girl...you gotta get that room PINK! :) Summer has been great and although I LOVE fall with a passion, I am already getting panic attacks over winter! Blast these Iowa winters!

Michelle Woj said...

Your family is so cute!

Ew I don't know about the whole pigs feet thing! I might had to have told Brad to take it outside! :) Ha ha...

You look great.. Keep me updated on when you have your baby girl! She will be beautiful!

Mike and Kim said...

Well, now that I've seen it, I want a pig-foot suturing room as well -- maybe when we get a bigger place.

It is sad to see summer go, but we love having four seasons again. Fall is a great time of year.

I know you girls never believe it, but 20 years from now you will certainly prefer that wild picture of the boys over any of the staged, slick-hair, tie-wearing, plastered-grin photos that you pay money for.

At least I know I will.

sjmiller said...

Ewww on the pig feet. But, what a fun farewell to summer you had!

Those trails are beautiful!