The weekend before school started, we decided to take a day trip to Austin to see the 3 million Congress bridge bats. We called Mike and Kim to get their opinion on where to have dinner, we loaded up the kiddos and we were off to the Salt Lick. Or so we thought. When we arrived at the Salt Lick (that used to look something like this), all we found was an empty building with "For Lease" signs in the window.

I guess we wouldn't be getting our Jalepeno Bacon Gravy after all. We ended up at our second choice restuaraunt, Chuey's. Although it was great food, it wasn't the Texas BBQ we were geared up for. After dinner, we headed to the bridge to wait for the bats. We waited....
and waited. But no bats. (Well, we saw two or three, but NOT three million).
If I didn't think our night was a total flop at this point, it was confirmed as such when we pulled up to the gas station to let the boys go potty and saw this:
No Salt Lick. No Bats. No Banos.
At least we had that "quality family time" on the drive home.
8 comments:
hahaha, this sucks! But at the same time, it's a tiny bit funny. As I recall, Chuey's was pretty awesome. HOwever, it's always disappointing when you have your heart set on something else.
So, where'd all the bats go???
At least it was memorable! The trips that go bad in my mind are always the ones that you never forget and talk about the most!
Can't wait to see you guys!
my mom just called me & said, have you read your friend shauni's blog??? she said go read it & tell her i laughed out loud... she loved it. especially the bats!!!
that was pretty funny. fun times!!
thanks for your love... tomorrow will be a better day!!! :) i will pray for patience tonight!
xoxo
I have never heard of the bats. At least you tried to have fun.
I am thinking about a Stewart Reunion- like our cousins, aunts/uncles- what do you think?
a flop for you, a good laugh for the rest of us. :)
Your kids will remember it as a sucess, and I think only a few bats is better than thousands. I'm not such a fan of mice with wings.
I think there is a "bat hotline" that you call and it gives you the approx time the bats will come out every night (and I think it also tells you if the bats aren't there). At least, there was one when we lived there.....
At least you've got some fun family memories. And Chuy's is good eats. You'll get more chances at BBQ, trust me!
Better luck on your next Texas outing.
I'm as sad about this trip as you are. All of our fun things that we remember so well are falling apart. Sorry to lead you astray.
There are still a lot of things you can try:
- Buffalo Chicken grinders at Rudino's
- Barbecue at Coopers in Llano
- Kayaking at Zilker
- Breakfast at Kerbey Lane
- Ski shores Cafe (under new management, but at least the location is the same, and that's really what it's all about
- A visit to the Gristmill in Gruene
- The outlets on the way to San Antonio (just kidding, I hated this place more than anything)
- Ink's Lake
- The nativity town in Burnet
- The Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Enchanted Rock (you can do Coopers at the same time)
- Mt. Bonnell
- A show at Stubb's
- and on and on
Post a Comment