Saturday, April 03, 2010

Home Sweet Texas!

This week Colby and I went to warm, sunny, Texas to do some house hunting. After a 13 hour drive, a full day of viewing homes and a lot of stressful paperwork, we bought a house.
An actual, real house with a backyard and a fence and a garage that is attached and walls that are not attached to all the neighbors walls. We are thrilled. It is new construction that is supposed to be completed by the end of April, in plenty of time for us to close and move in the first part of June.


I can't wait to have more kitchen cabinet space. Maybe I can finally get my seasonal dishes out of the garage...


We are hoping when we move in that this flooring will actually be in the house. I think Colby was a little hesitant to "sign his life away" on a house that didn't have carpet in it.


Our backyard.


The playroom.


We were very grateful to Grandma Frost and Aunt Crystal for coming to Iowa to stay with the kiddos while we went on our trip.


We wish we had more time to hang out with them, but we did enjoy a day of shopping and a birthday dinner at the Machine Shed.


The kids had so much fun with Grandma while she was here. They colored Easter eggs, went out for ice cream and ate "willy good dinnows."


Abbi and Grandma.


The highlight of the trip for Abbi was being able to spend time with her little cousin Hazel. These two little blondies are only four months apart and they had a great time together. No, I did not use camera tricks, Abbi really is twice as big as Hazel. And no, the girls were not thrilled to be shopping.


Aren't they the cutest little things?


I think we may have convinced Crystal to buy a mini-van while she was here. You just can't beat all the space for car seats.


Grandma got the girls these cute matching rompers, not the best picture but it's pretty tough to get two one year olds to sit still and smile long enough to take a good picture of them.


Thanks again to Grandma and Crystal for helping with the kids. And thank you to the great state of Texas for your affordable houses and fabulous cost of living. I guess now it's time to start thinking about packing...

11 comments:

Celeste Adams said...

So excited for you Shauni! You won't know what to do with all of that space. Cannon has already made a countdown calendar for graduation because he knows he gets to see Ammon. He has set aside his favorite space legos to take to Ammons and play. I can't wait to see you guys for graduation. Hope all is well. I'll call you in a couple of days.

Miss you guys!

Skye O. said...

How fun for you! I bet you can't wait to spread out in your new beautiful house.

Billy and Nathalie said...

Congrats on buying a house. It looks awesome!

karin said...

The cost is just one reason why we want to move there. I want space. I am sure you will love it there as much as we did.
Oh, I forgot to put on FB that we are thinking about living in San Antonio- great for vacations: Six Flags, Alamo, River Walk, Sea World...

Mike and Kim said...

Those two little blondiess are so cute together. I love the the picture of the girls in the chair. It really is amazing how much of a difference four months can make.

It looks like your trip was a success on both fronts--star wars easter eggs, Grandma and Aunt Crystal, and a great new house with a playroom as big as our house now. What a great weekend.

Hook em Horns!

Carolee said...

We are looking forward to coming to visit you guys and your new house! That is great! Congrats!! Happy Moving.

Heather said...

your house looks so great. i'm way happy for you. you deserve it so much.... no more appartments~ :)
love the play room.
happy birthday!!!

love ya.

The Obergs said...

No, thank you guys for letting us come! We laughed the entire week at the funny things the boys would say and the funny things the girls would do.

Oh those babies, they were just so cute together. I'm so envious of Abbi's golden curls. It was so fun for me to be able to do her hair and pick out all of her bows because a) she actually has some hair to work with and b) she'll actually keep her bows on her head.

Yes, I'm feeling the mini van. It was awesome to be able to get Hazel out of her carseat without contorting my body in funny positions and worrying about the door hitting the person parked next to me.

Thank you guys for sacrificing your sleep to hang out with us. We loved being able to spend a little time with you and Happy birthday to you Shauni!

The Teeples Times said...

Yay, yay, yay for you guys!!! The house looks big and wonderful! At long last...a house again!! I love that you'll have a playroom - so fabulous! Abbi and her little cousin are so cute. And I love the "willy good dinnows" part!

Susan said...

Ditto, ditto to Crystal's comments...we had such a great time with the kids. I loved every minute of it--and they were so good for us...you two are great parents which is evident in my sweet little grandkids. Thanks for having us come. And happy birthday, Shauni, so glad we could celebrate together.

Mike and Kim said...

Awesome house, one day we'll know what it's like to be homeowners. Or maybe we won't. Anyway, we're glad that it looks like you'll have plenty of space for us to come visit.

I've got a feeling like no matter what Crystal may think about a van, Taylor won't be going for it. Me either.