Thursday, January 11, 2007

Robot Tubes

Ammon had minor surgery yesterday, a bilateral myringotomy with tubes, i.e. he got tubes in his ears :) Colby was trying to get him ready for the surgery and he told him they were going to put "robot tubes" in his ears. Ammon seemed pretty excited about that, until he figured out what it entailed. He couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before. As luck would have it, he woke up at 1 in the morning asking for a drink or water. I had to wake him up at 6 am to leave for the surgical center. By the time we got to the surgical center, Ammon was very thirsty and hungry, not to mention still tired. He was very brave and he only cried when they had to pin him down to the table to give him the anesthesia.

Ammon getting all ready for surgery! (actually, he wasn't getting ready, he was trying to take off the hospital gown and he kept saying, "Mom, I'm ready to go home and eat breakfast.")



The one good thing that came out of the surgery was Ammon's new slippers. (which bargain shopper Mom picked up at Old Navy for $1.50). When his preschool teacher asked Ammon how his surgery went the only thing he told her was, "I got new slippers!"


In an effort to keep Ammon entertained, we kept taking pictures of ourselves while we were waiting for the doctor.


After surgery Ammon was not a happy camper. He kept telling me, "My head hurts so bad!" In response to my efforts to get him to calm down he would reply, "Mom, that is not going to calm me down, my head hurts too bad."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh Ammon--you are so brave!!--these pictures make me want to cry!. Good thing you were first thing in the a.m. and not noon or later--Ammon would have starved to death!. I'm glad things went well--no more ear infections now.

Unknown said...

That story is so sad and so cute all at once. Ammon is very brave, and those slippers are fantastic.

The Obergs said...

I had no idea that ammon was having tubes put in. I knew my mom had made a previous comment that she would be thinking about ammon on wednesday, even though I didn't know what it was for, I too thought about ammon on wednesday. I'm glad to see that it went well, I hope his head stopped hurting. If he's anything like his dad, the worst part was probably the fact that he missed breakfast.

karin said...

It seems like every little boy I know is having tubes put in (okay not mine or Beebe's boy or Ann's boys but everybody else's). Good to hear that everything went well.