Friday, January 21, 2011

Encouraged

Today I came to the realization that I will never actually be "done" with my housework. It seems like just as I get the dishes and laundry done, floor swept, moped and/or vacuumed and bathrooms cleaned, I find another mess in need of cleaning.



Someone gets hungry and pours and entire box of cereal for herself, or someone climbs onto the counter to get an after school snack and leaves footprints on the counter top and cracker crumbs on the floor. Someone gets home from school and empties the entire contents of his backpack onto the living room floor (including rocks and pieces of eraser that have been fashioned into "very special" figurines.) Someone uses the bathroom and has incredibly bad aim. There is always another meal to prepare, and more dirty laundry at the end of every day.


After spending much of the day cleaning today, and I finally had the kids settled in bed, I looked around the house and found that it looked like a tornado had blown through my living room. Needless to say, I felt rather discouraged. And then I remembered this from one of my favorite conference talks:

If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.
Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows. President Thomas S. Monson (Oct 08)

After re-reading this message from President Monson, not only did I feel encouraged, I felt very blessed. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life that provides upliftment when I most need it. And so grateful for my husband and kids, and all of the messes that come with them.

8 comments:

Aleese and Scott said...

I LOVE this Shauni!! Thanks for the reminder as Barrick just spilled pudding all over the floor. I would take chocolate pudding on my carpet any day for that little boy:)

Susan said...

Shauni, you are a great mom!!! Way to go in keeping everything in perspective...PS Abbi's hair looks so cute

Carolee said...

I have been thinking the same thing for months in regards to President Monson's talk....Will I really MISS finding/picking up matchbox cars from EVERYWHERE (i.e. my nightstand, in my shoe, in MY SHOWER, the boys bookshelves, the stairs, the couch, the piano, the computer room, the kitchen counter, next to the toilet...) Basically, everywhere BUT the toy room where the are supposed to be.

I even thought of about blogging it. (but of course, never got to, it). Guess, great minds think alike!

Kelly said...

I needed this reminder this week! Thanks.

Mike and Kim said...

"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
- Gordon B. Hinckley

That's another one that I like to remind myself of regularly. Sometimes it seems like we're pushing through the tough times waiting until we reach some magical future when things will be easier. This is life. If we're ever going to enjoy it, now is the time.

The Teeples Times said...

I feel that way all too often too,and w0nder Why did I just spend my whole day cleaning up? I too love that quote!! Sometimes it's just hard to remember!! Abbi's haircut looks great and your wall fabulous - way to go!! I also love your year in review!

Celeste Adams said...

Thanks for the quote! It is something that I really needed to hear! Life has been really crazy and my house a disaster! I really need to look at the bigger picture! Thanks a bunch! Hope everyone is doing great! Miss you!

Janene said...

Amen Shauni! Thanks for the reminder! By the way, your house has always looked SPOTLESS when I've seen it!