When we first moved to Iowa, Colby and I decided that while we were here it would be fun to explore the midwest. We started by traveling North to Minneapolis, then we headed West to Omaha, and Southeast to Nauvoo. Last weekend we decided it was time to head South to Kansas City. We took advantage of a three-day weekend and some unseasonably nice weather and drove 3 hours South with our friends the Campbell's to the "Show Me" state.
Our kids were thrilled about having to pose for this picture after the long drive. Here are the highlights of our trip.
Coco-Key
Thanks to Priceline, we got a sweet deal on a hotel with a water park attached. The kids were pumped to spend the day at "Coco-Key" water park and they had a blast!
Abigail didn't know what to think about her first time swimming. She splashed in the kiddie pool and floated in the lazy river with Mom, after she got used to the water she seemed to really like it.
Carter wasn't a big fan of the "big" water slides, but he loved splashing in the fountains and going down the smaller slides.
Site Seeing
We spent one afternoon site seeing downtown. We took the kids to Kaleidoscope, where they got to create their own art projects, cards and puzzles.
The kids loved exploring the different themed rooms at Kaleidoscope including a space room and an ocean area.
After site seeing, we took the kids to lunch at the T-Rex cafe. This was the funnest "kid restaurant" we have ever been to. The cafe was decked out with giant, moving dinosaurs, oversized aquariums, fossils, and a "meteor shower." The food was mediocore, but the atmosphere made up for it.
Caden, Austin, Ammon and Carter patiently waiting for their parents to finish taking pictures so they can go inside.
The boys outside T-Rex cafe. The pictures don't do it justice- it was a really cool place.
Eats
For Colby, one of the highlights of any vacation is the food. We once drove from St.George to Vegas for an In and Out burger. Our quest in Kansas City was to find some good BBQ. Kansas City is known for their barbeque, but with so many barbeque resturaunts in town- how do you decide which one to try? A local reccommended The Smokehouse, and they did not disappoint.
We also ate at Uno Chicago, which was recommended by a hotel brochure. They had excellent boneless wings and deep dish pizza.
Church History
We finished off the trip by touring the local church history sites. Missouri doesn't have the best history with the LDS church, but they did have a great visitor's center in Independence. They even had a Book of Mormon in Iymara (Colby will surely harrass me about the spelling of that!)
The kids in a replica log cabin which would have, amazingly, housed ten families while the saints were in Independence.
Our family and The Campbell family by a statue of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Ammon had to add his own personal touch to the only group picture we got on this trip by sticking his finger up his nose.
Liberty Jail, where the Prophet Joseph Smith spent four months and received multiple revelations which are found in the Doctorine and Covenants. This was a really cool place to visit, the Sister Missionary who was giving our tour had many interesting stories to share and it was a very peaceful, spiritual place.
Our last stop on the way home was at Adam Ondi Ahman, 90 miles North of Independence. We braved the cold to walk on a dirt trail to an overlook of the Valley.
If you have actually looked at all of these pictures and are reading this, I must say that I am impressed. I know other people's vacation pictures are never very fun to look at, but we had a great trip that was worth documenting. Thanks for enduring this lengthy post.
14 comments:
What a cool vacation. I LOVE vacations like that. You did a good job keeping it kid-friendly too, I think that is one of the hardest things about vacations.
That looks like so much fun! One of the best meals I have ever had was in KC on a job interview.
(I had no idea there were hotels with waterparks! I'm going!)
that is so awesome. that is one place that i would love to go as well. love all the pictures you took. your baby is so darling. i love her hair.
happy birthday to ammon. he is getting way to big.
xo
Wow! You guys were able to do so many fun things! The waterpark looked especially cool! Love the pics of Abbi in her bikini! TOO CUTE!
What a fun trip! We went down there once while we lived in Iowa and had a lot of fun... but we missed that cool kids restaurant!
I have been reading a lil' church history and thinking that when the little ones are big I'd like to make the drive. Thanks for sharing. I think it is exciting. And I want to go to the T-Rex!
I have been reading a lil' church history and thinking that when the little ones are big I'd like to make the drive. Thanks for sharing. I think it is exciting. And I want to go to the T-Rex!
I am so glad you posted this. We are going down on Monday and we've been trying to find some fun things to do. So thank you for some fun ideas. If you have any more recommendatons please send them my way.
You are the rock star mom. You are always going and doing fun things with your family. I love it. We need to be more adventurous.
You guys really do pack things in - looks like you had SO much fun! The T-Rex place looks like a blast, along with the water park. I would love to see liberty Jail and the other sites too. You are lucky Abbi is so good! I DO love her bikini - if only I looked half as good as her in it!! You look amazing too!
P.S. The chocolate I used for the pretzel lightsabers was the Wilton candy melts. I'm not sure what craft stores you have near you, but you can find them at Jo-Ann's, Michaels, and Wal-Mart in the cake decorating aisle. I can't wait to see your party pics! Have fun!
Looks like you guys had so much fun!! I love all of the pictures and who knew Kansas was that happening of a place. You had a full vacation!
oh my gosh, those two babies are SO CUTE! I love Abigail's cute little pigtails and I could just eat up her sweet cheeks.
The vacation looked fab. I'm with Colby, the caliber of the vacation is all dependent on the food and it looks like you guys came across some good eats.
Next time I go on a trip, I'm going to hire you two to plan our itinerary and find us hotels with waterparks. Somehow you guys know all the best places to go.
I'm glad you had a good time. I'm sure this will be one of those trips that the boys will always remember.
What a fun trip! Logan & Abbi are so cute!
Post a Comment