Tuesday, March 03, 2009

On Mothering

I love my kids every day, and most days I really like being a mom but some days I don't enjoy "mothering."  Today is one of those days.  This is directly related to the fact that last night I was up with my kids 9 times, that's right NINE times between the hours of 11 pm and 7 am.  It is true, being a mom is a full time job, but occasionally I'd like to find someone to take the night shift.  This post is to remind me that my kids are great, even if they do have raging fevers at 3 a.m.

Two Little Know-it-alls

Ammon and Carter are such smart little boys, and they know it.  They are turning into a couple of little know-it-alls, and they always keep me laughing.  Here are some of our recent conversations:


Carter:  It's not fair,  Abbi just gets to drink milk and I have to eat real food.  (the kid loves his chocolate milk)


Mom:  Ammon, what did you learn about at school today?
Ammon:  Vincent Vangogh
Mom:  And who is Vincent Vangogh?
Ammon: The greatest artist ever.
Dad: Yeah, but do you know what he painted?
Ammon: Starry Night
(I have to give props to the Iowa school system for this one.  I'm pretty sure I didn't know what Vangogh painted when I was in Kindergarten- or ever.)


Carter:  Hey Mom, look what shape I made.
Mom:  Oh yeah, it's a moon.
Carter: It's actually a crescent Mom, a half moon shape is called a crescent moon.


Carter: These boys love you Mom,  and I know that daddy is just like you having another big kid.


Ammon:  Mom, what is kinetic energy?
Mom:  Did you know that Dad is kind of like a scientist?  You should ask him.

Ammon:  I know who I'm voting for...
Mom:  Who?
Ammon:  Barrack Obama for President


Little Tubby

Thanks to all of those middle of the night feedings,  Abbi is turning into a tubby little baby.  I'm sure when she gets older she won't appreciate this bathtub video on the Internet, but it's too cute not to share.


6 comments:

Skye O. said...

Your boys crack me up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to clock out on certain days. It's a good thing they are so cute to counteract it...most times. :)

The Obergs said...

I'll be honest, this post gave me a lot of anxiety because I'm going to be the "mother" waking up with kids nine times a night in a few short weeks... ahhhh!

Shauni, you are a great mom. Your kids are so cute. I love all of the quotes, especially this one:

"Carter: These boys love you Mom, and I know that daddy is just like you having another big kid."

Carter is VERY observant.

I'm glad that you posted the bathtub video. Abbi is so cute I can hardly stand it. It makes me laugh how much she loves the water. What a sweetheart. Give the kids a kiss for me.

karin said...

Oh "mothering" is so much more than a full time job, my sister, Elizabeth, and I discuss it ALL the time.

Your boys are too cute and Abbi is the most serious bath-taker I think I have ever seen.

Aleese and Scott said...

Shauni you poor thing! NINE times WOW! What a good mom! Also I love your boys they are the funniest little guys I love that Carter said Colby was just like another big kid that is hilarious!! WOW could Abbi be any cuter I love her splashing around she looks so intent on that bath.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

The joys of motherhood. Nine times is a lot for one night. Love the boy's conversations. I think of things Natali says to me now and it makes me REALLY worried about what will be coming out of her mouth when she is a teenager (or probably much sooner). Looks like Abbi takes her bathing very seriously! Such a cute little girl, they just grown way to fast don't they!?!?!

Unknown said...

I feel like I've been doing E a great disservice by bathing him in the little infant tub. It may be faster and easier for me, but Abbi is an inspiration to me. We're going big boy tub!