Saturday, March 28, 2009

Another Whirlwind Adventure of The Frost Family


Our adventure started with the arrival of Grandma and Grandpa Stewart from Utah.  We spent our first day together just relaxing, 


hanging out together, 


and getting reacquainted.


We took advantage of the terrific weather and spent day two of our adventure exploring the Blank Park Zoo.


The kids were thrilled that Grandma and Grandpa were here and I had more than one request for them to "stay in Iowa forever."


Abbi was wowed by the jellyfish.


Armed with a portable DVD player, about 10 lbs of sugar and a GPS, we hit the road and drove 9 hours East to Ohio.  The kids must be getting used to all of our roadtrips, because they were fabulous travelers.  Even little Abbi did great as long as her bink and stuffed pig were close by. (and I might add, she looked great in her shades)


We met Uncle Scott, Aunt Aleese and cute little Barrick in Dayton and had a blast spending the weekend with them.  The boys made sure that we hit the swimming pool. 


It was a little cold, which ended up being a good thing because the boys didn't fight us when it was time to leave.



It was great to see Scott and his family.  Poor little Barrick had a dose of his own "Kryptonite" (i.e. 15 M.O. shots) and wasn't feeling well, but we still got to see his cute personality- and he even showed us his "button."


We celebrated Carter's birthday with a little "cake picnic."  Obviously, the kids were not thrilled about the sun in their eyes!


Then we hit the National Airforce museum.  It was a great place for a boy to spend his fourth birthday! Carter loved all the big airplanes, Abbi rode in the umbrella stroller for the first time, and Ammon kept entertained by pushing Abbi in the stroller.


We even found a B24 like the one that Great Grandpa Stewart flew in WWII. 


One of the highlights of Dayton was spending time with my Aunt and Uncle Trent and Valene and their kids.  We had so much fun playing card games, and Wii and the boys loved the little movie theatre they set up for them.  I did come home with some "war wounds" from playing spoons, but it was worth it to make it into the final three. Thank you Neel family for the great food, fun, superglue, poptarts, etc.


Thanks to the GPS, we found a couple of cute little resturaunts to try out.  (Poor Colby had to stay in Des Moines for clinic, so we had to try out the food in his honor).  We found a cute little cafe that made me feel like we had traveled back to 1950, it was great!


We also found a fantastic pancake house, another little local "greasy spoon."


At the end of the weekend, we sadly said our goodbyes and headed back to Des Moines.


We were so happy to have Grandma and Grandpa come visit.  Thanks guys for coming out and braving the 19 hour roadtrip with 3 kiddos.  May you never underestimate the power of DVD's and fruitsnacks when traveling with a four year old!

8 comments:

karin said...

I love trips with my parents and it looks like everyone had a great time. Too bad Colby missed out, I had a few great trips while Bryan was in school and we (my siblings and I) still talk about them, it is a little sad but now we get to go on some trips with him.

The Obergs said...

Yeah, Abbi's shades are pretty dang cute, along with all the rest of her bows and outfits! You guys are traveling fools, but it sounds like you have some good little buddies to travel with so why not, right!!?? I'm glad you had a fun trip and I'm sure Colby was too broken up about hanging out at home by himself with his video games.

Aleese and Scott said...

I love Abbi's little glasses and I am shocked she kept them on! We had so much fun with you guys I was sad to leave, but we will have to do it again and hopefully Colby can come next time!

Fenstermaker Family said...

Shauni, I can't believe you didn't call! The airforce museum is like 10 minutes away from our house! I'm sad we missed ya, but sounds like you had a lot of fun. How lame is it that we haven't even been to the museum and we're moving in 3 weeks, so I don't know that we'll make there. Oh well. Sounds like you had a blast. Your kids are getting huge! Take care!

Heather said...

i'm so jealous of all the family time and traveling you do. your kiddos are so cute. love all the fun bows... super super c u t e.

xo

Britney said...

Glad you guys had such a fun trip. When Stephen saw these pictures, he said, "Whoa, Carter went to the rain forest!" :)

The Harward Family said...

Wow, you really get around, and i mean that in a good way! I'm so happy you got to have a little trip with your family. The picts are really cute. Looks like a blast. I cannot believe how big Abbi looks! She is so sweet! Love the shades, I bet you just love having a girl. I'm so happy for ya.

Michelle Woj said...

I can't believe how big your baby is getting! Where does the time go? So cute!