Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sweet Success

I like to cook.  And I consider myself a decent cook, not a chef by any means, but I can hold my own.  However, there are a few dishes that I have never been able to get to turn out. Namely baked potatoes and cheesy brocolli soup. I know these aren't difficult dishes, but time after time I have attempted to prepare these and failed. (I mean failed miserably as in, "maybe we should order a pizza?")  Colby has continued to request these dishes claiming that cheesy brocolli soup is his "favorite." (although anyone who knows him very well knows that he loves about everything).  I am pleased to announce that after consulting four recipes in three different cookbooks (and taking a little advice from each one) I finally conquered cheesy brocolli soup.  The soup got rave reviews from all my boys (Colby claimed it was so good his "head was going to explode" and at one point said he felt like the guy on Ratatouille). The best part is, my kids actually ate brocolli (shhh, don't tell them).



While I was creating my culinary masterpiece, what do you suppose my boys were doing?


Playing lightsabers and jumping on the bed.  For those of you wondering what is going on with the goggles, I wondered the same thing.  When I asked them they said, "they are to protect our eyes from the lightsabers."  How perfectly logical.




Baby sis was just content to sit and watch.  She is such a good baby!

9 comments:

Aleese and Scott said...

I love it when I finally get a recipe right. Your dinner looks so good I think I might make that tonight. Also I love the goggles on the boys and HOLY COW Abbi looks so old in that picture!!

The Obergs said...

hahah, Shauni, I have to laugh because I feel the same way about the "elusive baked potato". I always call my mom to see how she makes them, I do it exactly as she instructs and they ALWAYS turn out too hard or all shrivled up...It's beyond me.

I'm so glad your soup turned out and I'm still laughing about Colby's comment on how his head was going to explode....that must have been some serious soup!

karin said...

How funny. I love baked potatoes because of how easy I think they are.

Could your kids be any cuter? I don't think so. And the goggles are very logical.

Britney said...

Love the lightsabers and goggles. Classic.

Skye O. said...

I'd love to give that recipe a try! Sounds like a good one. Abbi looks like she is pretty easy going...so cute!

we have the same lightsabers...we'll have to find some goggles to go with it though. love it.

Summer said...

YAY! COngrats on the soup! That sounds really good, Hmmm...maybe I should attemp that tomorrow...

Your boys are so cute! I have a feeling they would get along great with my boys...must be the lightabers!

Abbi is so sweet to let you cook! What a good baby!

Lisa said...

Yum! Soup sounds great right now. Did you make the bow Abbi is wearing?

The Teeples Times said...

You are so funny. I can ONLY get the easy stuff to work for me when I cook. The ones you get to turn out wonderfully would NEVER work for me. Wrap a potato in foil paper, poke a hole with a fork and throw in the oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs at 350 - ta da!

I too love the goggles with the lightsaber fight. Dallin would love to play with them. He can't wait until the little boys are big enough to play such things. How great that those two have each other!!

I'm glad Colby loved the soup. He is lucky to have such a great cook as you!!

I can't believe Abbi just sits content and lets you cook....WOW, what a GREAT baby she is!

Natali Jolley said...

I would call you a REALLY good cook. I should take lessons from you on how to cook. The only thing I can make well, are sweet things and we all know that Bryce and I need a little less of those things. I had a cooking disaster the other night and I have still to blog about it because the wound is still too fresh. Maybe you should make a recipe book for me and I will pay you for your recipes! How does that sound?