Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What are you going to do in Iowa for a WEEK??

When my brother in law Mike found out that Colby's parents were coming to visit us for a week he asked them, "What are you going to do in Iowa for a week?"   I guess Iowa isn't a huge vacation destination?  Despite less than perfect weather conditions, we had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa Frost.  To answer Mike, this is what you do in Iowa for a week:


Visit the Science Center and build your own lego car.


Think about driving to St.Louis to see the arch, but decide to build your own instead.


Play with cheap hotwheels toys.


Drive up to the spillway at Saylorville Lake.


Eat deep fried mushrooms that are the size of your fist,


then finish off your meal with a five layer chocolate cake.


Eat at lots and lots of midwestern restaurants with amazing food.


Drive to Illinois to visit Hyrum and Joseph at Carthage jail,


and see them again by the Nauvoo temple.


Learn how much work it was to live in the 1840's.


Go swimming with these three handsome boys.



Visit an ancestor at the old Nauvoo cemetery.


Visit the Nauvoo temple.



Have two cute little buddies accompany you everywhere.


Drive to Winterset, Iowa to see the actual "bridges of Madison county,"



and the birthplace of John Wayne.


Get all tuckered out from a wonderful trip!


Thanks so much Ron and Susan for the visit, we had so much fun!  Hopefully next time you come it will be warm and nice and green.

15 comments:

Heather said...

Shauni looks like you had so fun! I would love to come & visit..
Hope you had a great Easter!
What are you doing for spring break??? {anything}I pray I don't go too crazy with my kids off for a week!!! :)

Unknown said...

That picture of your two boys at the cemetary is the cutest picture of my life! And thanks for including a few of my boy's namesake :)

The Obergs said...

Alright Shauni, you convinced me, there are definitely things to do in Iowa. What a fun vacation! I know my mom and dad said they had a blast. Carter and Ammon are so cute together, I love the pictures of them holding hands and the one of them hugging in the cemetery. I also laughed at the picture of Carter in front of Joseph and Hyrum bustin' a move. Such funny little boys.

karin said...

You sure did pack a lot of things into a week. Your boys are too cute- I LOVE the hugging photo. All I really have to offer people when they visit are the beach, Disneyland and other So. Cal amusement parks.

Susan said...

What do you do in Iowa for a week??? I don't know about Mike, but we spent it having the best of times. . . we loved every minute of it. You guys are fabulous hosts!!! I laughed til I cried at the funny things the boys said (..."he has weird issues with transformers"...I'm still smiling at that one) It was great fun and thanks for your "midwestern hospitality" (and it's even ok that it wasn't warm and green--at least it didn't rain much) Love you guys.

Mike and Kim said...

I don't actually recall ever saying that, because we really liked our trip to Iowa. Somehow we didn't get to eat gigantic deep-fried mushrooms, so I do feel a little gypped, but my mac and cheese pizza at Cici's was good.

On a side note, how does Dad always manage to look like he's just had a hit of nitrous in every photo?

Aleese and Scott said...

Looks like there was plenty to do in Iowa! I loved all of the pictures especially the one with Colby and the boys swimming they looked so cute together!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Looks like fun! Wish we had a spring break next year too. Isn't it great to get spoiled by parents when they visit!

Skye O. said...

That looked like so much fun. I loved the pictures of the boys holding Grandpa's hand at the temple. that is so sweet! We love it when grandparents come!!

Lisa said...

Iowa is a great vacation spot! I am pretty sure when we move away we will want to come back every year in the middle of winter just to remember our cold times together. k maybe not, but there are some cool places to see once.

sjmiller said...

That looks like a lot of fun! It's always fun to have parents visit!

sjmiller said...

Hey!

Can u send me your email that you use for the blog?

I'm making mine private, and want to make sure you can get on.

Send it to stephaniemillerphotography.com

Thanks!

Carolee said...

Looks like the only thing you missed is the Field of Dreams baseball diamond....isn't it somewhere in Iowa?? Couldn't you squeeze that in? (ha,ha). Seriously, whenever you get there we want to hear about it since that was like the only thing I know of to do in Iowa until I read your post :)

kelli said...

Shauni,
I found your blog from my sister's blog. I guess she knows your brother and sister in law. Anyway, looks like you guys are doing great. Your boys are darling! I guess I didn't realize you had moved out of state, I think last time I saw you was at McKay when we both worked there.
Love,
Kelli (Turner) Packer

Summer said...

Looks like there are PLENTY of fun things to do! We really want ti drive out and see Nauvoo...I wonder how far it is from Cleveland.