Thursday, January 24, 2008

Glass half full

I was tempted to title this post, "Is this hell... no, it's Iowa,"  but after reading my friend Tanya's blog

about finding joy, even in January, I was inspired to be a little more optimistic. For those of you who are not currently living in Iowa, may I advise you not to visit in the winter.  It is currently negative 11 degrees outside with a windchill of negative 21 degrees. When I checked weather.com, I also found this windchill advisory.  Apparently we are living in the Arctic...

WEST WINDS WILL CONTINUE TO DIMINISH THIS MORNING BUT CONTINUE AROUND 10 MPH THROUGH MID MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF THESE WINDS AND VERY COLD AIR TEMPERATURES WILL LEAD TO WIND CHILLS OF 20 TO 30 BELOW. CONDITIONS WILL IMPROVE AFTER SUNRISE AS TEMPERATURES SLOWLY WARM AND WINDS CONTINUE TO WEAKEN.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

I would like to tell you that today I will be staying inside, sitting with a cup of hot chocolate, but instead I will be bundling my kids and going to preschool registration and swimming lessons.  Here is the glass half full part: even though we are freezing and homesick from our recent visit to Utah, I am so grateful for all of the blessings in my life.  I have a wonderful husband and two great kids. (Let's just pray they don't turn into little popsicles this morning). Colby is getting a good education and I have a job that allows me to be with my kids during the day. 

I would love to hear from all of you your reasons why January is NOT the worst month of the year!!



10 comments:

sarita said...

I feel your pain!!! On a positive note, in January the hubbies are officially halfway through the school year, and there are always major clearances in January.

I still think it's the worst month of the year but those two things make it more bearable for me.

Unknown said...

Okay - I thought of one: people tend to be dressed more modestly in the wintertime! That's tough. January really is kind of the pits.

Mark and Aupreille said...

I had the exact same thoughts when I read that severe weather warning. It's crazy minutes that if you are out for 20 minutes or more with exposed skin frostbite and hypothermia will set in!!! What the heck!

At least this weather allows me to wear sweaters which I love and I just got 2 cute ones that were on clearance at Kohl's :)

karin said...

Living in a warmer climate: people are definitely dressed more modestly and I can actually enjoy hot chocolate now that it is a little chilly out.

For you in freezing Iowa: when you get home from your errands, your hot chocolate will be delicious and helpful in warming up; cuddling with your husband is probably a necessity that you both can enjoy (when he isn't studying); the next few months of school will go by much faster than the first few (or that's how it was for me) and you got to escape to Utah for a little while (my sister-in-law rarely gets to escape the winters there).

Mike and Kim said...

What I want to know is -- Does your spit freeze before it hits the ground?

I've always wanted to see that.

And how do the firefly offspring survive through the winter and show up every summer?

Scott Stewart said...

Sorry, This January is awesome. Why? 240 reasons. Over 240 inches of snow has fallen at Snowbird this year. Most of it in January. Sorry about the cold but we are loving it in Utah.

Love Dad

Heather said...

I also feel your pain. I don't live in that cold of weather but, I do get the floods instead! :) It's funny that you say that b/c my mom and I were talking about that today, that January is got to be the most gloomy month. The only postitive note I can say is you wait til the end of the month so you can get started on filing your tax return! Hope it is a good one for you!!! :){the best tax return was while we were still in school}

The Obergs said...

oh Shauni, I hear ya sister! I am feeling the exact same way as you are, yesterday it was -12 degrees, I'm not sure of the wind chill factor, but it is pretty dang windy up here by the canyon and I'm freezing my butt off. All day long I dream about warm days on a beach and beautiful summer nights.... January blows... literally!

Lisa said...

At least we have each other and DMU's prom to look forward to.

Natali Jolley said...

I want the sunshine so so so badly. At least we have warm places to live and we aren't the pioneers! P.S. You've been tagged! Check out my blog for details
www.jolleyjolleys.blogspot.com