Earlier this week I was checking the weather on weather.com when I saw a forecast of 28 degrees and precipitation of a "wintery blend." "Oh, that sounds nice," I thought. It wasn't nice. Apparently a "wintery blend" is code for a hellacious ice storm followed by 3 to 4 inches of snow that will shut down life as you know it. Storytime and preschool were cancelled. DMU was closed. The YMCA was closed. The boys and I pretty much stayed home for 3 days and I cleaned and worked on some sewing projects. The good new is Colby came home at noon one day and just hung out with us. A couple of days later Ammon said, "Mom, I just keep waiting for a big storm so Daddy can come home and we can all just be home together." Still, not what I expected from a wintery blend. This is more what I had in mind: Here are some pictures of the boys playing outside in the first snow of the season.
All bundled up.
Ammon making a snow angel (or trying, there's not quite enough snow).
11 comments:
How fun! We can't wait to go to Utah and hope while we are there it might snow so the kids can go and do the same thing!
We got a little, but it lasted about 1 hour! Then the rain hit..... no more snow after that! :)
A "wintery blend" does sound nice and festive. Sounds like it should be a hot chocolate flavor, maybe white chocolate and peppermint. That's a mean trick the weatherman pulled on you!
Shauni,
Tell me this ice storm we had this week is a rare occurance for Iowa winters?!?!?!
My office even closed down and our driveway is still a sheet of ice.
3 days of being stuck at home does not sound fun. And I would have thought "wintery blend" was something wintery like a a little wind and a little snow- not a blend of horrible storms. I am glad you kept yourself busy and it is funny how kids can want something as bad as an ice storm if their dad can be home. We had a tornado one year and classes got canceled one day for Bryan and it was the most fun I had during a storm.
My favorite is the sunglasses or goggles or whatever to protect the eyes while making a snow angel. What a clever way to be able to look up and see the snow coming down without getting it in your eyes and marring the view.
Shauni, your boys are a breath of fresh air in my boring school life. Thanks for sharing all the fun stories about your lives. I couldn't stop laughing when I read about Ammon the pack-rat. Oh man does he ever take after his grandma Stewart!!! I hope you guys are having fun this holiday, and don't forget about those of us who are too fat (me) or too pregnant (Aleese) to fly home this year. Have a safe trip and post some more pics soon so we can enjoy your funny family. We love you!! Scotty and Aleese
Shauni, your boys are a breath of fresh air in my boring school life. Thanks for sharing all the fun stories about your lives. I couldn't stop laughing when I read about Ammon the pack-rat. Oh man does he ever take after his grandma Stewart!!! I hope you guys are having fun this holiday, and don't forget about those of us who are too fat (me) or too pregnant (Aleese) to fly home this year. Have a safe trip and post some more pics soon so we can enjoy your funny family. We love you!! Scotty and Aleese
oh Shauni, that is funny, you make me laugh. I actually was thinking the same thing when I read "wintery blend". Why do they make something so terrible sound so cozy and inviting? Ammon really does have the winter spirit doesn't he. I love that he's actually out there trying to make a snow angel in the little skiff of snow that's on the groun, hahah. Well at least they shut down school and work. I remember some pretty terrible snow storms in Utah, but do you think 3 feet of snow would shut down school? hell no!
Sorry that everything shut down. Looks like you guys had fun! Glad you got to work on some stuff. (I need to get going on that same stuff, and I don't have snow holding me back.)
Cute pictures of your adorable children, as always!
"Wintery blend" what a nice way of saying ice storm with a skiff of snow. Winter isn't the same outside of Utah. It sounds like you guys enjoyed your selves. I kind of like the occasional "wintery blend" because it makes you slow down, but after a couple of days being trapped inside I wish everything would melt.
I was praying for a wintery blend here yesterday so that I wouldn't have to go to church.
It didn't happen.
Post a Comment