Lately, we have been having rodent problems at our house. It seems that a little pack rat has moved in to the boys' bedroom. The other night when we were getting the kids ready for bed, Colby found this under the bunkbed.
After talking to Ammon, we discovered that he had been storing all his "very special" things in this little nook under the bed. This includes candy wrappers, leftover valentines, a ziplock bag full of paper scraps (which he claimed was a puzzle) anything that he has colored or brought home from school and anything with a picture of a super hero or transformer on it. Colby went through these treasures one by one and told Ammon he could save the most special things in a shoe box under the bed. Everything was the "most special." When we asked Ammon is he wanted to save something he would say, "Oh, fully yes." We finally made it through this pile and Colby went to put the shoebox in one of the drawers under the bed. That's when he discovered this.
Apparently, Ammon has also been saving newspaper ads of everything that he wants for Christmas. (which is everything that he sees in a newspaper ad). We laughed and laughed at our silly little boy. We knew he liked to save things, but up until now we thought it was limited to the school projects that he hides behind his pillow like this:

We hope that by limiting the things he saves to what can fit in his shoe box, we will be able to break him of this habit! We love our little Ammon, he makes our home so much fun!
9 comments:
WOW! At first I really thought you had a problem and then as I started reading, I hoped you didn't really have that problem (did you see the Oprah with the hoarders and they had mice nests in the piles of stuff in their basement).
Peter Walsh (the organizer from Oprah) said "they" have to be a part of the cleaning process or else it comes back and quicker. He was referring to adult hoarders but I am sure it works on kids too.
I'm with Karin - I kept expecting real rats to show up and I was so scared of Iowa, and then everything worked out and it was just adorable Ammon - whew!
the picture is the best part, it's like he's saying "come on guys, get out of my stuff" He is so fun . I can't believe he's actually old enough to be a pack rat. But don't let Colby fool you, he hid many a thing in those bunk bed drawers. I remember both his and Mike's drawers stuffed to the brim with crap. Good luck with your rodent problem
It doesn't help that their pre-school teacher brings her old scrap paper for the kids to color on and then makes a special effort to send each thing the kids even make a mark on home. I swear Ashlyn brings home about 10 "art projects" each day.
Ammon is just like his dad!! I remember cleaning out Colby's room after he left on his mission--chocolate trains from Christmas years before, cookies from Mrs. Fields, every little piece of everything he ever got--what goes around comes around!! Ammon is so funny, I agree the picture is worth a thousand words
Shauni, that is the funniest thing ever! I laughed so hard when I kept going down to the next picture! Are you kidding me! Cayden is the same way! He keeps all of his "stuff" at his desk in the play room. The best was all of the newspaper ads! lol
Keep in touch about your christmas plans so we can get together while we are both in utah.
talk soon..
Hilarious and oh so cute! My mom paid me $1 for each large black trash bag of stuff I threw out once and I am now a reformed pack rat. I made some good money. Of course, I was much older than Ammon,and I had a lot more stuff.
That is so funny I got the biggest kick out of that, I think every kid goes through a pack rat phase I know I did. The pictures are so cute and I can't believe how big he is getting he looks older and older all of the time.
That's so funny, I've never seen such a little packrat! We miss you guys, and love reading your blog.
Post a Comment