Living in Iowa, we have been exposed to politics a lot lately. Multiple Presidential candidates have come to speak to the students at DMU and Colby has had the opportunity to learn about their agendas (especially their healthcare plans). Saturday, I braved the cold weather (10 degrees!) to attend a political rally for Barack Obama. Oprah was also here supporting the Obama campaign and we were able to see her speak.
I wasn't overly impressed with Obama, he did a lot of Bush bashing and didn't address his own agenda. We were pretty far away, and the Hyvee center lacked stadium seating, so this is the best picture I could get of Obama.
This is what the stage looked like from where we were standing without the zoom on my camera.
We met lots of other girls whose husbands also attend DMU. (I have to admit, a lot of us were there mostly to see Oprah).
Thanks to the tall guy in the technicolor sweater who was standing in front of us, most of my Oprah pictures looked like this:
I did get this picture that is pretty dark and grainy, but still proof that I saw Oprah! Oprah did an excellent job speaking. I was really impressed with her patriotism. She spoke a lot about America and what a great country it is, and wasn't too negative about Bush or the other Presidential candidates.
It was exciting to be there with so many other people, to learn more about the caucuses and to discover that Iowa is pretty influential in determining the Presidential candidates.
Hailey, Auprielle, Lisa and I having a great time. (Saturday with no kids doesn't happen very often!)
Although I had a great time at the rally, and found it interesting, even Oprah couldn't convince me to change the sign that is in our front yard.
9 comments:
I'm glad that you got to see a presidential candidate, and Oprah! I think I would have gone just for Oprah too! Iowa is a swing state, so you will probably get more candidates than we will here in CA. (Although, we have had some come because of the fires, etc.)
I am still undecided, as a lot of them are not impressing me at all. I'm not passionate about any right now. I DO hope that changes, as I want to know that I made the right decision for myself, and who I think will do what I want them to do, as well as what is best for the country.
Looks like you had a nice Saturday out! YAY!
From what I have heard so far, Mitt is the candidate for me but I also know I need to know more about what everyone stands for. And bashing other candidates and the present President is not something I like.
Having a night without kids is ALWAYS fun!
Thats awesome that you got to see Oprah!! Nate has different views on her but, I still watch and love her! Obama is questionable..... We will leave it at that. Mitt is also the one for me that is awseome that you have that in your front lawn! I'm glad you had fun!
Hope to see you soon! Tell Colby he better fit it in his little agenda!!! :)
So COOL! I wish that we would have these kind of political hooplahs in Utah. I think if there were as many exciting parties going on around here I might get a little more into the presidential race. And come on, who wouldn't go to a rally with Oprah? Dang the technicolor sweater for getting in your way, however I could totally tell that it was Oprah up there.
Shauni I'm so jealous you got to see Oprah she is just fabulous! I'm not too hip on the old politics but I will say I definatly would of gone to see Oprah too! It looks like you had a fun girls night out!
I'm a Mitt fan, too, but I totally would have gone with you to that rally. Because just in case my guy doesn't make it to the top, I want to know who the best of my choices are.
Sounds like it was a fun weekend I don't know if I would have braved the cold at least in the state I am in right now, but none the less sounds like it was pretty awesome. I didn't realize Iowa was so influential we see a lot of the political stuff on the news all of the time out here so we are always updated on the trips and it seems they all make stops in Iowa. Lucky you!
I love reading your posts! You make everything fun and bring out the humor. Love it, love it, love it! And it sure looked like a good time!
We had so much fun! Thanks for taking off work and coming with me.
Post a Comment