Today is the last official day of Summer vacation. My boys will be heading back to school on Monday. I am really excited.... okay, I'm not going to lie, I'm ecstatic. It's been a long, HOT Summer. As ecstatic as I am, I'm not sending them back to school without some reservations. My biggest one being that I have a THIRD GRADER... a third grader whose classroom is on the "big kid" side of the school, a third grader who no longer thinks it's "cool" to wear shirts with a collar, a third grader who is halfway done with elementary school, a third grader who is embarrased to be seen with me at Meet the Teacher night. My biggest reservation about having a third grader is the fact that I REMEMBER THIRD GRADE. Up until this point I was hoping my kids would just forget all the mistakes that I've made. But I have real, vivid memories of third grade. I remember my fabulous teacher, Mrs. Terry- and Colby remembers having a big crush on that fabulous teacher (yes, we were in the same 3rd grade class... and YIKES- are third graders old enough to have crushes?) I remember all the actions the Laytones did to "Hooked on a feeling," when they came and performed at our elementary school (and we have never, ever done those actions while singing and doing the dishes. And I do NOT have "hooked on a feeling" on my ipod) I remember riding my bike around the neighborhood and playing ghost in the graveyard and sardines in our fabulous backyard. Reservations or not, come Monday morning I will be sending a third grader and a first grader out the door to start another year of school. And we are as ready as we are going to be...
We made apple shaped cupcakes,
We got all of our school supplies, and drove to every store in town looking for 9x12 inch colored construction paper (luckily it's not a very big town).
I know one girl who is going to miss these two boys... strike that, I know TWO girls who are going to miss these two boys.
4 comments:
awww...look at you! Cutest cupcakes ever! :) There will be so many wonderful things about school starting, right? Just hoping those cute boys of yours have many, many fond memories this year (even if a few include teach crushes!) lol
loved your post. You're going to HAVE to share those "Hooked on a Feeling" moves at RS! But really, there is just one thing I'm dying to know...
Where DID you find the 9 x 12 construction paper?
hahahah, the Laytones!!! I totally remember their performances and always wishing I could be up there with them.
I loved all of your third grade memories. I too have some vivid 3rd grade memories, so good luck to you on being perfect from here on it.
P.S. That picture of the kiddos is so cute. Abbi looks like she came from a totally different gene pool. Check out that super-blond hair!
* "here on out", not "here on it"
Post a Comment