We had a great Fourth of July weekend. Colby had three days in a row off, we celebrated with good friends and good food, and I was only slightly homesick for family and fireworks (which we had neither of!) We kicked the fourth off with a traditional July 4th breakfast of Creme Brule French Toast, Breakfast casserole, blueberry muffins, fruit slush, and sausage. Yes, it was just as good as it sounds. We had some friends over to help us celebrate. I was originally thinking we could all eat outside; because it was in the morning and our backyard still had some shade.... it turns out that in Texas in July it is still unbelievably hot and uncomfortable in the morning, in the shade. Guess who ended up eating outside??
They were still all smiles and didn't seem to mind the heat.
Funny though, the mason jars full of crayons that I had put on the tables to entertain the kiddos did mind the heat.... they were melted beyond repair!
We kept the adults, and the food, inside with the A/C.
When I saw all the melted crayons, I was really glad that we opted not to go to the parade.
I was perfectly happy staying home with friends, A/C and my fruit slush.
Contrary to what they think, my boys are not too old to do the "matchy, matchy" thing for holidays. It's just too darn cute... and in a couple of years they won't let me pick out their clothes for them so I've got to take advantage of it while I can.
Due to the heat, and a serious lack of rain this year, all of the fireworks in our area were cancelled. I heard a rumor that there was a minimum $250 fine if you were caught with so much as a sparkler. Bummer. Instead, we went to a friend's house and BBQ'd, let the kids swim and played "a minute to win it." We had such a good time, we hardly missed the fireworks.
Hope you all had a Happy Fourth of July!
5 comments:
I can't believe it melted the crayons...holy hot!! If it makes you feel any better, all fireworks are illegal in New Jersey, so we haven't done any fireworks in 4 years. We did go to the community college for some fireworks though (only highly supervised fireworks are allowed). Congrats on surviving a year. You, Shauni, are just as amazing as I remember!!!
Looks like you had a great time--we missed you guys here but I guess our tradition of creme brulee french toast carries on...can't wait to see you all in 3 months!!
I will tell you from personal experience that I don't have any doubt that your house was more fun than the parade! We're sad we missed it, but we didn't have much of a choice. Glad we got to celebrate with you later, though.
Shauni, you make the holidays so fun. I am glad that we got to spend the 4th with you all in middle America, Iowa vs hot old Texas. But it looks like you made it a true Frost party despite the heat. Can I come to a "minute to win it" party?
you did a great job celebrating, despite the fact that the most important part of the holiday was missing (fireworks).
I LOVE the show 'minute to win it' and I'm thinking next time you guys visit, we'll have to get a rousing game going. I think it sounds like a great time.
Post a Comment