Thursday, January 21, 2010

Opposition in all things

Yesterday we had one of "those days." It had all the makings of a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. We had an ice storm, school cancellations, diarrhea, a bloody nose, a leaky roof, temper tantrums, spilled milk, a broken printer, missed naps, fighting children, a malfunctioning blue tooth, and more... at the end of the day I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, and incidentally it looked like a truck had driven right through our living room. After cleaning up the house and getting a good nights sleep, I was feeling a little better about things this morning. As I was scraping the half inch of ice off my car, this scripture came to mind, "for it must needs be that there be an opposition in all things." That's it. This is my opposition.
Although at times I feel sorry for myself and think I should be the poster child for "trials and tribulations," I really don't have it that bad. I have electricity (which many Iowans are without today), a healthy family (other than the diarrhea), and three cute little smiling faces to brighten my days. And when life gets back to "normal," I know I will appreciate it so much more than I usually do.


This picture doesn't do it justice, but this is some serious ice!




Just like Grandma Frost, this is why I had kids.


I have much to be grateful for and tomorrow is a new day (hopefully one without ice storms). What more could I ask for?

7 comments:

karin said...

I feel the same way about my "trials" and I think weather plays a big part of how I respond to my "trials" And since my boys are asleep right now, I think they are wonderful and hopefully we sleep better than we have the past few nights and I will still think that in the morning.

Heather said...

xoxo. here is to a better day!! love ya tons!

Mike and Kim said...

Gotta love those ice storms. Man wasn't meant to live where it rains ice.

Susan said...

As long as you can find the good in your trials--all is well!! I had to laugh at the picture of the kids washing dishes and your caption--I did some serious laughing--and for the record--I really didn't mean it when I said it--can't your kids forget the bad things and remember the good...??!!

PS You're almost done!!! (and the lettuce wraps were great)

The Teeples Times said...

First of all, I love,love your food ideas-very fabulous &tasty!! You deserve mom of the year award!!! I mean it! I too have learned to "appreciate" my trials. It's all about perspective, right??? Love you!

The Obergs said...

Shauni, you got my mom to comment twice in a row on your blog. That is some serious blogging skills...

The ice picture is killing me! My sister-in-law was complaining about logan, saying that she couldn't think of one good thing about living here. I looked at your post shortly after that and realized that's a great thing about living here... no ice storms!

Good luck with your final few days and congrats on almost having Colby home

Unknown said...

Thanks for the perspective. I need it. A lot.