Sunday, February 10, 2008

An Icy Weekend

This weekend had an "icy" theme.  Friday night, it was our turn to watch kids for the babysitting exchange. We had an ice age party where the kids made marshmallow igloos, did ice experiments and of course, watched ice age.  Saturday afternoon I commented to Colby that I thought our townhouse was cold, our thermostat was set at 70 degrees and according to the atomic clock, it was 62 degrees inside. I didn't think much of it and I left for work. When I got home from work at 10:30, it was 52 degrees inside.  Colby said, "I think our heater is broken."  Of course, I couldn't find the after hours maintenance phone number and I thought it was too late to harass the neighbors for it, so we went to bed with a space heater in the boy's room and 4  blankets, sweats and slippers on in our room.  When we woke up this morning it was 43 degrees in our townhouse.  I immediately called Nances, who saved the day with the maintenance phone number.  Once I called, the nice maintenance guy came over and promptly fixed our heater. It is now slowly warming up. It is now a balmy 56 degrees and my boys are running around without their shirts on (staying close to the space heater of course!) 


The kids at the ice age party.


Playing dress ups.


Our Marshmallow igloos.


Driving our cars on sheets of ice.

I apologize for yet another weather related post.  After this weekend, I am really ready for Spring and even more ready to move somewhere tropical!

8 comments:

Heather said...

How creative and Cute are you!!!!!
So, I'm sorry too hear about how cold your house was.... but perfect for your "icy" night!
I love the ice in the pans! How fun for them to dive cars through the icy roads!! :)

So creative I love it!

p.s. I need to show this to our friends so we can start the whole babysitting thing!

karin said...

Do you post all of your babysitting exchange nights or just the really cute ones?

Our thermostat is crazy but I had the maintenance guy look at it and he told me it was fine, he heats up way past what it is set for and cools much cooler than it is set for but it takes a little while for it to kick on again- good thing we live with "nice" weather.

dc_stewart said...

I am so sorry about the heat, the month before Barrick was born we tried to live without the heat using only space heaters and it was so cold!! Also looks like you had a fun ice party you are so creative I bet the kids loved it.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

So creative, you have the cutest babysitting parties! I HATE this weather as well, soooo ready for Spring! Stay warm!

The Obergs said...

Oh that is so crappy that you're heater broke. I can't even imagine trying to sleep in 43 degrees.

You guys are so fun. What a great idea for kids night. It's especially cool that Spiderman and Darth Vader decided to visit the party.

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm ready to invite over preschoolers and toddlers, because you are SO fun! I made H a little aquarium toy, and he loves it, but bigger kids love it more and I want to do stuff like you do. Wow.

Leslee and Kody said...

Looks like a lot of fun with all those kids, you are so creative.. wish I could think of stuff like that! The boys look so big! Love you and miss you guys!

Mike and Kim said...

You really do know how to make the best out of your icy weather. What a fun mom you are.

I am really glad that you guys didn't freeze to death.