Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Des Moines Marathon

Last weekend, l ran my first (and possibly only!) marathon. It was an amazing experience. It was a beautiful fall day and a great race. My finish time was 4 hours and 53 minutes, which was slower than I had hoped, but I was just happy to finish. Colby was very supportive and came down with the kids to cheer me on. I was able to see them 3 times during the race and at the finish line. I couldn't have done it without my wonderful husband and 2 darling boys, my running partner Celeste, my sponsor Paul and the Macaroni Grill, Aerosmith and Def Lepard (nerdy, I know- but they motivate me). I have to add a disclaimer before these pictures: alot of these are pretty cheesy, but I wanted to show proof that I actually did this!



Getting ready for the race, holding my race number, and feeling really nervous.



Celeste and I running through one of the parks.



The kids were so excited to see me, they were running up and down the road and giving me high fives.



Part of the marathon course (I think it was about mile 18) ran through the Drake University stadium. There was a live band and a broadcast of runners on a big screen overhead. It was pretty cool.



The marathon started and ended downtown. There were tons of people cheering on the runners, it was a huge adrenaline rush.



On the home stretch, running toward the finish line.



This is really cheesy, I warned you. Me crossing the finish line.



One more crossing the finish line. This was definately one of the coolest experiences of my life, actually I think it's number 5 behind 1. marrying the love of my life 2. the birth of my kids 3. graduating from college and 4. traveling to Russia and Europe. It might be tied for #4, either way, definately in the top five.

13 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Shauni...that is awesome. Go you! How are you doing post marathon? Maybe a little sore? We need to play! That is a great accomplishment...I would have taken all those pictures too, cheesy or not!

karin said...

I would definitely post all photos of me running a marathon, okay I would probably post photos of me running.

The Obergs said...

Good Job Shauni! I'm way impressed. Now you can always say that you've run a marathon, and from what I've heard this will probably not be your last. Craig and Becka both have told me that even though you feel like you want to die after you've run a marathon, it's so addicting and you'll want to run many more (you can substitute half marathons for full ones, that's what Becka does) Anyway, I like your cheesy pictures, they really capture the emotion. Congratulations!

Tristina said...

Congratulations!! That is amazing!

Carolee said...

WOW!! Shauni that is great!! Don't worry my dad used to run marathons and even though he was in amazing shape and would run them in like three hours; he would be dead for like a week after. My mom always teased that he couldn't even get out of bed the next day!! Congratulations!! That is amazing!!

Unknown said...

Cool! I am so proud of you! You're inspiring.

chunkymonkey said...

Wow! I am so impressed! And in under 5 hours!!! That is not easy to do, so I hear. I would be glad to go that far on foot in under 24 hours!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shauni!! I'm so impressed with your dedication thats great! Theres nothing better than having your kids there to cheer you on I'm sure they were so proud.Good Job!

sarita said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy it went well. Your boys look so proud of you!! I must say that I am very proud of you as well. Way to go!

Mike and Kim said...

So why didn't Colby run this one?

Remember when I won my age division in the 5k at Weber?

That's right. 5k. Which is 5k more than I've run since.

Lisa said...

You are awesome! I also have to say you look so skinny. Maybe I should run a marathon.

Mark and Aupreille said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is quite an accomplishment. Those pictures are the best and not cheesy considering how much running you just completed in 1 day.

Tanya said...

Congratulations! Congratulations again because you know how much I hate to run! It's so inspiring to me that you could train so hard for this and then do it!