We've been struck with it- sickness. We have a myriad of illness at our house, the kids and I have had everything from sore throats and tummy aches to sinus infections and stuffy noses. I got a phone call from Colby yesterday (who is rarely sick) saying that he nearly fainted in the OR and followed that up by puking his guts out in the locker room and he was too light headed to drive home. (I guess he's hardcore, that still didn't persuade him to take a sick day today). All of this moping around in our PJ's watching Christmas movies has caused another kind of sickness- home sickness. Every once in a while it comes on with a vengeance and today I've got it. I'm not sure if it's because I just went to the Temple mall (if you've ever been to the Temple mall there is no explanation needed as to why this would cause me to be home sick), or because I know Colby isn't coming home until late tonight. It could be because Christmas is in four days and I just had to turn on my air conditioner. It could also be due to the fact that all of our other said illnesses have kept me away from the gym for three or four days and my endorphins are at an all time low. It can probably also be contributed to the fact that I know Colby is on call on Christmas Eve and Christmas day and I am trying to prepare myself for the possibility that I will be spending Christmas without a husband, 1,400 miles away from "home." Sorry if I'm being a little whiny. I guess I should throw some good news or a moral to the story or something in here.... We ventured out to story time at the mall today and I won a drawing. My kids were pleased as punch to come home with a Borders bag filled with children's books. I was actually really excited, I think that's only the second time I've ever won a drawing (the first one being the time I won a portable camping stove from a bank grand opening when I was in high school). On the way home I stopped at the park to let the kids play, but we had to cut our time short because the kids were too hot in their long sleeved shirts. There's not really a moral to this story, except maybe if you're somewhere today that's not 83 degrees, sipping hot cocoa by the fire, surrounded by your healthy family and friends- send some of that bad weather, good health and Christmas cheer our way. We could use it!
12 comments:
Its rained in here in Vegas for almost a week straight...which never happens!! I miss those warm weather days. I'll send you this glady and you can send me back the sun!!
Drew has croup. (we had a fun visit to the ER last night)...and we are all SO STIR CRAZY being stuck inside. Sorry to hear you guys are sick. It always stinks to be sick. At least you got out and won some books!!
You'll get used to the warm weather and then wonder why you missed the freezing cold Utah winters (at least we do - even Jared doesn't miss it anymore). Visiting is good enough.
Hope you guys have a merry christmas - emergency free - for colby's sake.
Love all the new family pics on the blog!!
I think I miss the beautiful, white snowy Christmasses, and then we go to UT for Thanksgiving and are stuck inside because of the weather, and I think, I'd like to visit the snow just for the holidays then go back to the decent temperatures. Maybe after a few years you'll adapt....but you ski, so maybe not.
You're bummed about the warm weather?! Me and Chelsey are sitting here talking about how wonderful 83 degrees sounds. I would die to still be able to go to the park. Like Carolee, me and Hazel are going stir crazy inside all day.
Hazel's been sick too. She had a fever for 3 full days and has been miserable. I hope you guys start feeling better. It really is the pits to be sick around the holidays. I hope that Colby doesn't have to go in to work on Christmas and things start feeling more cheery.
P.S. I'm totally intrigued by the Temple mall... why does it make you homesick?
Oh Shauni we wish you were here too! We understand how hard it is to be away from family for the holidays. Just know that you are missed and that we love you guys. Hopefully you will all have a speedy recovery!
I am so sorry you are all sick--that really is miserable. I wish I was there and I could make you some homemade chicken noodle soup. We miss you guys--it's just not the same to have half of my children and two thirds of my grandkids away from us. I hope you are on the mend--love you guys
Sorry you are homesick and sick-sick. Next Thanksgiving and Christmas we can probably spend it (homesick) together. I haven't been to the Temple Mall but I know a lot of people go to Austin to shop :)
I miss 83 degree weather, it has been cold and raining for almost a week with no stopping. The kids are going crazy. My dad and Bryan took them to the church to run around the cultural hall and to get out of the house (away from the moms).
OHHH Shauni! How I do miss you! I hope everything is okay! Call me on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Steve will be working too! We do have snow, but not much! Your family is growing up soo much! Hope we get to see you soon! Have a merry christmas!
Love ya!
Celeste
Being sick at Christmas time is the ABSOLUTE worst - I am right there with you!! Even though this is our 4th Christmas away from family - I still miss them! I am praying for you that Colby doesn't get called in on Christmas Eve and especially Christmas Day. That truly is rough!! We have had freezing cold weather (17 - 30 degrees) and NO snow! What a bummer, so I'll trade you weather. Wish we lived closer and I'd come give you a giant hug and we could sing Christmas carols together! Feel better really soon!!
Being sick at Christmas time is the ABSOLUTE worst - I am right there with you!! Even though this is our 4th Christmas away from family - I still miss them! I am praying for you that Colby doesn't get called in on Christmas Eve and especially Christmas Day. That truly is rough!! We have had freezing cold weather (17 - 30 degrees) and NO snow! What a bummer, so I'll trade you weather. Wish we lived closer and I'd come give you a giant hug and we could sing Christmas carols together! Feel better really soon!!
My computer went wack-o!! Sorry about the million comments! Feel free to delete them. :)
Oh, I'm sorry your having a bummer time! I hope you get feeling better soon. It sure is hard to be far away from family this time of year! Bryan is also on call on Christmas, so that should be interesting.
PS I love your new pictures! Your kids are beautiful!
So sorry you've been sick! I IS a bummer to be far away from family...one thing that was consoling to me was to find out that they don't even have snow on the ground "back home" right now. I'm still missing my family, but at least my family doesn't have snow either. Pretty sad, huh...I guess misery loves company. :)
Post a Comment