If you would have asked me four years ago, I would have told you that I could not wait for Colby to finish school, I would be thrilled to leave Des Moines and to move on to the next chapter in our lives. Three weeks ago when I walked through our empty townhouse one last time, and tears starting welling up in my eyes, I realized that the last four years were some of the best that we have spent together. As I crossed over the Iowa state line into Missouri, I felt as if I were leaving home all over again. In the words of President Thomas S. Monson, “Nothing is as constant as change.” And although we knew it was coming and we looked forward to it even, it didn't make it any easier to leave.
Abbi and Carter all geared up for the thirteen hour drive (that ended up taking SEVENTEEN, long, horrible hours!)
Amazingly enough, we left Iowa in the same size Penske that we arrived in.
Stopping for lunch somewhere between Missouri and Oklahoma?? I'm not real sure where we were, but the kids were pretty thrilled about their Pringles and PB & J's.
We arrived at our new home in Texas after midnight to find that our good friends had arrived before us and set up air mattresses and a pack and play. It was so nice to have somewhere to crash after the long drive.
We are slowly adjusting to life in our new home. Today was the first time that I have left the house without getting lost! Although we moved here over a month ago, I spent the last three weeks visiting family in Utah. I am ashamed to admit that we still have a couple of rooms that are filled with boxes and we haven't hung a single picture. We are excited to see the changes that will take place in the next three years that we call Texas, "home."
8 comments:
I know that feeling a little too well. I love that you took photos especially since it isn't the easiest drive and it took a few extra hours.
Oh, Bryan got lost all the time when we lived in Waco. I drove around for almost 2 months trying to learn my way around, the streets there are not like Utah.
And you should check out the Mayborn museum at Baylor, it is fabulous!
I always have a hard time with change too. In fact, I have a hard time with other peoples' change. I started tearing up when you were describing leaving your Iowa townhome....
I can't wait to hear all about your adventures in Texas and how much you are going to love it (and your home).
P.S. I'm digging Carter's Michael Jackson glove, sweet...
Good luck with the new place. I think you'll find that the food and weather are better in Texas, and it sounds like half your friends moved with you, so it should be that big of a transition.
On a side note, I love driving the big rig and pulling into truck stops.
i don't like change either. trust me i have tried driving in texas before.... let me just say it would take me a year to figure it all out!!! :) i can't wait to see pictures of the inside of your house when you get all settled in. texas is sure lucky to have you there! i miss ya. my inlaws live in SA. i just might need to take a visit & catch up with you~
xoxo.
Shauni I miss you terribly! I can't believe you left me here... No, really I'm so happy for you! I would like to see some pictures of the house and the backyard. So Jealous!
I totally know how you feel! Four years ago, I was bawling when I found out we were moving to Cleveland, then last month, I was bawling because I had to leave! Change is hard. Congrats on being finished though! Enjoy your new home in Texas!
Post a Comment