Friday, May 14, 2010

The Windy City

Mother's day weekend, I had the opportunity to go to Chicago for ANOTHER great kid-free getaway. (I love my kids, but traveling is so much easier without them). After a short 5 hour drive we arrived at our destination.


Our first stop was Pizzeria Uno for some Chicago style deep dish pizza. It did not disappoint.
This is one of the only pics I got of the whole crew; Kelly, Shauni, Becca, Mandy, Melanie and Chrissy- what a fun group of girls!


Next, we headed to Michigan Avenue to do some shopping. We hit Crate & Barrel, H & M, Mimi Maternity (not for me), The Disney Store, The Lego store and the American girl store (just to name a few).


The American Girl store was unreal, you could have your dolls hair done, take her to the hospital, have lunch with her, or just look around and gawk like we did.


We rode to the top of the John Hancock Observatory to check out the Chicago skyline at night. (notice the black area on the left? That's Lake Michigan).



I loved the Chicago skyline, it was so BIG and UNIQUE.


I also loved the reflective "bean" in Memorial Park.



We spent one afternoon at the Chicago Institute of Art. Being a group of Iowan girls, we had to see American Gothic (which was inspired by a farm house in Iowa).


Another one of the amazing Chicago skyline.


Another highlight was lunch at Ed Debeviks, and our waiter dancing on the table.


Our last stop on the way out of town was Wrigley Field. We weren't able to go to a Cubs game, but we did successfully look like tourists by taking two dozen pictures of the stadium from McDonald's parking lot.


Thanks girls for the fun-filled weekend and a big MWWAHH to Colby for watching the kids, again, so I could have a little getaway.

8 comments:

The Obergs said...

oh what a good time! I think I need a girls weekend... Shauni, YOU ARE the real fun-seeker. Look at you gallivanting all across the country in the last couple of months. No wonder you're not one of the pregnant ones... you haven't even had time to get pregnant! hahhah.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh it was just a blast! I hope I don't have to wait another 5 years to go on another one!!!

karin said...

That looks like a fabulous trip. Traveling, doing most things, without kids is easier. Glad you enjoyed your trip, is this the last one before the move?

Carolee said...

Wow! I am jealous that looked great. I have always wanted to go to Chicago. What's next? You are really hitting the road these days....

Valeri Stewart said...

How fun! Chicago is a great city. I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat there with Donny Osmond. He was MAAVELOUS! I'm glad you got some away time. It was well deserved.

Mike and Kim said...

That pizza looks awesome, and that was an impressive shot from the Observatory. I've never been that interested in checking out Chicago, but maybe you've put it on my list.

chunkymonkey said...

Two of my favorite things: traveling without kids and Chicago--we spent a couple summers there and I LOVE that city!

The Teeples Times said...

How great you got to get away! Well deserved to the best mom I know!! Chicago looks like a lot of fun! The reflective bean looks cool,and wish I could try the deep dish pizza too! Hope the packing is going well, and I will try to give you a call! lOve you!!