Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cabin Fever

Today was day FIVE of being stuck inside, all day. The cabin fever has started to set in. This time it wasn't the "epic storm," it was the "case of the broken down mini-van." Last night, as we were trying to be festive at the Jolly Holiday lights, our poor van started smoking and sputtering. I pulled into a parking lot to check under the hood. Although I had no idea what I was checking for, I did know that this was standard procedure when you are having car problems. After a thourough check under the hood I tried to start the car but was unsuccessful, leaving me stranded out in the elements with my three young children. I tried to call my husband for some "car advice," but apparently he wasn't getting phone reception in the theatre where he was watching Twilight. (Sorry to let that cat out of the bag babe, but it's the only comical part of this story!) Luckily, we have some wonderful friends here in Des Moines and they came to rescue us. By the time we got home it was 10:00. We spent a lot of time today snuggling up in front of the TV, watching Christmas movies and trying to recover from our ordeal.



We felt very fortunate that we were all very bundled when the car broke down because we had just spent the afternoon at Living History Farms with some friends.


Little Abbers even had her long johns on. (and it's a good thing because it got pretty cold!)


While we were waiting for the Nances to come rescue us, Ammon made up this clever song to the tune of Jingle Bells:

Jingle Bells, this car smells
Daddy is away.
Soon Zack will be here
so we have no fear
and we all can shout HURRAY!

This was a welcome change to the "Jingle Bells, Batman smells.." version that we have been hearing dozens of times a day since he learned it at school.

This is how we felt when the car wouldn't start,

and this is how we felt when Zack and Kyle arrived!
Thank you, thank you guys for the rescue!

All in all, it was another great adventure for the Frost family. I am just praying we don't have too many more adventures of this type before February!

5 comments:

The Obergs said...

oh what? Colby willingly went to see New Moon without any women folk around???

OH MY HECK! Taylor wouldn't even go if I begged and pleaded (although I wouldn't beg and plead because IF he did go he would make it miserable for me with all of his snarky comments)

Oh Shauni, what a great attitude you had about your "adventure". I would have been making up a little song of my own with a lot more expletives in it

Heather said...

i'm so sorry.... i think we have a snow day tomorrow. i will try to remember your fun songs!!;)

karin said...

I am glad to get more of the story about the car situation. Glad everyone is okay and throwing in a little comedy is always welcomed.

The Teeples Times said...

I feel for you!! You are one strong, brave woman!! I agree with you that being stuck inside for more than one day, the novelty very quickly wears off. I'm so glad you have such great friends out there!! Wish I lived nearby, as I would rescue you anyday, anytime. I enjoyed talking the other day...sounds like I needed to call a few days earlier when you were all stuck inside. Hope your weather is better!

Carrie Jones said...

Shauni, my husband loves Twilight too! Much more than I do! He'll be happy to hear he's not the only one. :)