A couple of weeks ago, Ammon came to me and said, "Mom, when are we going to decorate haunted houses?" I hadn't really thought about decorating haunted houses this year so I replied, "I don't know buddy, we'll see." He responded, "okay mom, but we have to make haunted houses, it's a tradition." It is? A tradition? I was so excited that not only did I come up with something that my kids enjoy doing, but that they consider it a tradition. I immediately planned our traditional night of spooky food and haunted house decorating and invited our friends the Campbell's and Nance's to join us. I had planned to have the kids wear their cute Halloween garb that Grandma Frost sent, but between soccer games and changing in and out of their costumes multiple times they ended up in old, grubby clothes instead. Check out this picture and you can just imagine how cute they would have looked wearing these outfits while decorating their haunted houses.
We started the night with a spread of spooky food including jello bats and pumpkins, bone breadsticks, ghostly strawberries, foot float punch, mummy cheese dip and cheesy brocolli and potato soup.
Megan's ghostly strawberries tasted just as good as they look.
After dinner, we put the daddies to work fashioning haunted houses out of graham crackers and hot glue. Colby kept up his naughty tradition of flipping off the camera. Don't worry, next time I am going to suspend him from school and make him read Under The Tonto Rim for six hours straight.
After the houses were built, the moms and kids went to work decorating. There was just as much sugar as you are imagining, and I think the kids ate as much candy as they put on the houses.
The finished products!
It turns out that it was a good thing they boys didn't wear their new shirts, they ended up covered in icing. Little Abbi was at the party, but she missed most of the fun. She was a cranky little baby and I put her to bed!
Me and my sweet boys. Although Colby only made it into one (questionable) picture, he actually was at this party too. We are sure enjoying having him home and so grateful he is able to share some of our Halloween traditions with us this year.
This video is not of haunted houses, or traditions, but it is pretty darn cute. Grandpa Stewart requested more footage of Abbi walking so here you have it. She is turning into a little pro, which is great until you try to take her to sacrament meeting! It's a good thing she's so cute.
9 comments:
Shauni, you did it again, making holidays the best.
I want to be apart of that fun family tradition, ghostly food and candy houses, what could be better. Maybe we will be making a new Halloween tradition over here.
Ok, seriously!? This is fantastic! The food looks great, the houses were a hit and Colby even looks cute in his profane picture. I also am totally in love with Abbi's puff ball bows with her Halloween outfit. She just can't get any cuter.
So did you put on of Colby's cadaver feet in the float foot punch?
The food looks so cool! I want to get the recipes from u! That is such s great tradition u have going!
that looks so fun. how did you do the mummy?... lovin it. wish i could do the fun traditions with ya too!!!
You make me laugh every time I read your blog!! Colby's "naughty tradition" eh? I bet that's not his only "naughty tradition". Anyways, that is one dang creative and cute party!! Wish I was invited. Love the mummy log and adorable food!! YOu are amazingly creative! The haunted houses look fabulous. What a great tradition you have!!
I miss that tradition. We were going to do haunted houses this year but time has not allowed it. We are still hoping to sometime next week. We miss you guys like crazy and can't wait until you come and visit. When is Colby and Jason coming?
Thanks so much for having us over. The kids had a great time! Your such a perfect hostess.
What a fun tradition! Your treats were adorable too!
Just one of the many reasons I sure miss my friend Shauni!
Post a Comment