Friday, June 19, 2009

Making 30 look GOOD!

I have to start by saying that I have the best friends in the world. Yours might be good, and there are lots of good ones out there, but mine are the BEST! As our 30th birthday year was approaching we were all feeling a little, um, hesitant to celebrate this milestone. Someone came up with the idea that we should commemorate the big 3-0 by running a half marathon together (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Melanie's idea since at one point she claimed that she would rather give birth than run that far). So after months of training (training myself to run, training the boys to use their manners for Grandma, training Abbi to take a bottle, training Colby not to freak out when she refuses to take a bottle) we left behind 5 husbands, 16 kids, a couple of babysitters and a few Grandmas and headed up to Bear Lake for the weekend.


Needless to say, we were excited to arrive albeit mildly dissapointed in the lack of fanfare at the race packet pickup. Bummer girls, no expo or live band. We stayed up entirely too late the night before the run (carb loading on delicious Hug Hess chicken pasta salad and beer bread), and were still suprisingly chipper the next morning.


And after running 13.1 miles in the cold and rain, we were even more excited to reach the finish line.


What an incredible experience, beautiful surrounding and fabulous friends.


We spent Saturday after the race napping, eating, lounging, eating, watching movies, eating, playing spoons, sitting in the hot tub, and eating. (Hey, we burned a lot of calories on that run!) Saturday night, we dressed up in our finest sweatpants and race shirts, accesorized with our medals and headed out for Mexican food.


Holy Cow! I can't believe we finished that race!

We didn't think our race medals drew enough attention at the resturaunt, so we had to take a bunch of pictures to make sure we looked like tourists.


We ended the weekend by spoiling ourselves with pedicures.


Check out those cute toes!


We had so much fun, we decided to run a full marathon when we turn 40 (or maybe we'll just go on a cruise!) Thanks girls for the fun weekend. And a huge thanks to my mom, Colby and Marcie for watching the kids- it was a well needed break!




12 comments:

Celeste Adams said...

That looks like so much fun. I can't wait to start running again. Funny story..... I already bought a new pair of running shoes, but I promised myself I wouldn't wear them until after the baby. Less than 3 weeks. YEAH! You look so great for just having a baby! How is Utah?

karin said...

I am glad you enjoyed it and after spending a weekend without my husband, I think you should do something without the kids before you head back to Iowa and then 5 1/2 months later.

For my 30, I think I will take a cruise instead.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

I think I might agree with who ever said they'd rather give birth than run that far! Way to go you. Sounds like a fun weekend and a much needed girls break.

archiecrew said...

All you girls look so good! So jealous! I'm running my first 5k next week so maybe I'll catch up to ya by the time we're 40!

Maria said...

You all look great! Sounds like a fun thing to do with all the girls. I checked out your blog forever ago and then forgot to add it to my blog list. It's good to catch back up again. Looks like everything is going well for you guys.

Unknown said...

You DO make 30 look good! Way to go!

The Teeples Times said...

Man, we are sexy as ever!! just kidding! I LOVED seeing you and spending the weekend together. Wish I could have seen your kids too though. Thanks for putting up with me and my craziness the morning of the half! Thanks for a hundred years of friendship - you're the BEST!!

Molly said...

way to go shauni, you rock! im hoping to do a half in the fall!

Britney said...

Way to go, Shauni! You amaze me with your endurance. I ran another 5K this month and it just about wiped me out again. :)

Glad you're having so much fun out there.

Straley Family said...

We miss you Shauni, come home soon! My favorite picture was the one with Bear Lake in the background. I almost cried. I grew up 30 minutes from that lake and spent some of my best teenage days there.

The Goffs said...

Good for you....I definately couldn't run 13 miles. It is fun to see that you have all remained such good friends, and I love having girl time. So are you here for Colby's entire 4th year or just the summer? I loved coming back to Utah, but really miss Nebraska at times (mainly our great friends). All of you ladies look great (you look to good for a new baby)!

chunkymonkey said...

Did I tell you we were at Bear Lake, didn't know about the marathon and saw a lone, older runner wearing a number and laughed about how he thought he was in a marathon, until we turned the bend and it really WAS a marathon! Ha on us!