Friday, December 19, 2008

Icestorms and Guinea pigs

Over the last couple of years I  have become very familiar with the Midwestern icestorms, and how they can shut down the entire town. It is not uncommon for work to be cancelled,restaurants to shut down or church to be cancelled. One thing I have not had experience with is the school closing procedures.  No one ever told me that if there is an icestorm in the forecast, (but at the present time it is clear outside), they will cancel school, put your 5 year old on a bus and send him home 2 hours early without contacting you.  As a mom, you are supposed to sit home and watch the news and wait for them to post a message that scrolls across the bottom of you television telling you which schools have been cancelled.  Had I known any of this, I would have been home yesterday at 2:00 instead of out trying to get some last minute Christmas shopping done.  I also would not have received a phone call from my very nice neighbor telling me that there was a little boy sitting outside on my front porch in the freezing cold.  Needless to say, today I feel like the world's worst mom.  I am just grateful that Ammon was very calm and collected about the whole situation, I am grateful that I made him memorize my cell phone number and I am grateful that he remembered it.  Thank you to my annonomous neighbor who was kind enough to help Ammon, thank you to Brittany for letting Ammon come to your house until I could get home and thank you to Tausha for explaining to me why Ammon was home at 2:30 instead of 4:00. Sometimes I feel like this whole parenting thing is a big experiment and I have been given three little guinea pigs to test my methods on.  Poor little Ammon gets to be the one who tests out everything first. Sorry buddy. I think I have school cancellations figured out now.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I would have been freaking out if I found out my child was sitting alone on my front porch. Yesterday, I at least got a call that school was canceled. When I asked surprised and said oh thank you so much for calling, the lady on the other end said, very rudely, you really should be watching and checking the weather. I had checked the news a couple hours earlier and it hadn't said anything about school being canceled. And really it was nice and sunny out. Who would have thought. Well I guess next time we will be more prepared.

karin said...

I would have not known that either. And really, who has time to sit and watch the news, especially in the middle of the day. If our TV is on during the day it is a kid show.

Straley Family said...

I have often thought that McKenna came first because she was the toughest out of my children and could handle all the near disaster experiences. On that note at the birth of our first child we should be handed a whole pile of "first time mom, get out of jail free cards." Or maybe even put a sticker on our forehead saying "cut me a break, I've never done this before."

Susan said...

Oh my gosh--you'd think the school would take a little more responsibility when school is canceled in contacting parents!! Ammon did good--and you do good, too!! Don't worry--all turned out well...

The Teeples Times said...

I almost started crying for poor Ammon reading this. The same thing would have happened to me!! They really should have called you! You are a WONDERFUL mom. I feel the same way about Dallin being my guinea pig. I guess we have to learn some how, eh?

Anonymous said...

Wow girlfriend that's a great parenting story! I hear you on the whole guinea pig theory. My little pigs are going to be crazy for sure and I'm fully prepared for it to be all my fault! You are still a great mom in my eyes and a great friend! I miss you! Merry Christmas, your little Abbi sure is pretty!

Britney said...

I read your post and was reminded of the quote "it takes a village to raise a child". We all help each other out at times, and everything works out for the best.

Your kids are welcome here anytime. :)

Unknown said...

Those school jerks! That is so unsafe of them. Completely not your fault.

rkkorth said...

When Lisa told me that story I told her that I would have been so ticked. Seriously who sends kids home early without making sure they aren't going home to an empty house or a locked house! Way to go Ammon on remembering your phone number. I think someone must have been watching over him ;)