Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Swimmer's Ear

This past week we have been paying for all of the "water fun" we had in Utah.  Last Monday, Ammon woke up in the middle of the night complaining about his ear hurting.  After a trip to the doctor we discovered he had an outer ear canal infection or "swimmer's ear."  We left the doctor's office with a prescription for antibiotic ear drops and were on our way.  Five days later, after cooercing Ammon into letting us administer ear drops four times a day, and alternating Ibuprofen and Tylenol every three hours, he woke up in the middle of the night AGAIN complaining about both ears hurting.  Another trip to the doctor confirmed that the ear drops were not working and Ammon now had infections in BOTH ears.  We left the doctor's office with a prescription for another ear drop, an oral antibiotic and an appointment to come back this morning.  As if we hadn't already had enough,  Carter appeared in our bedroom last night at 2 am with a raging fever.  As luck would have it, we were already headed to the doctors office this morning so I asked if he could just see Carter while we were there.  A finger prick determined that Carter also has some sort of bacterial infection.  We left with another antibiotic prescription and made another trip to Walgreens.   I am hoping that this is the end of it.  In the past seven days we have been to the doctor's office four times, Walgreens six times for medicine (once in the middle of the night), had two little fingers pricked for blood tests, been woken up in the middle of the night by miserable kids seven nights in a row, missed five swimming lessons and had to cancel three play dates.  Being sick is the pits, but I think having two sick kids is worse.  I am just hoping they are feeling better by the time school starts next week.

9 comments:

karin said...

That is bad but I would rather have them sick together than have one sick, miss out on playdates and stuff and then have the other get sick the next week. I hope your boys are feeling better soon- you need your sleep.

The Teeples Times said...

That is terrrible! Poor boys, I bet they were in a lot of pain. Poor mom because you had to deal with ornery boys, I bet. I hope they feel better soon. How is your belly looking? I want some pics on your blog.

Celeste Adams said...

It sounds like I should be there to bring over some pizza and popsicles. I really to wish I was there to help you out. I loved talkin to you the other day and I'm going to make it a goal to call atleast once a week. I hope your kids get feeling better. Did your new couches come?

Skye O. said...

that's a bummer. You have had a busy week. Nixon is starting to get a nasty cold...and I'm sure another ear infection is on the way. Hopefully this will be the last before tubes. hope you all start feeling better soon.

The Obergs said...

oh that is the pits. I feel bad for the little boys, I remember nothing worse than an ear ache. Hopefully they get better soon so that you can get all your lives back to normal

rkkorth said...

No fun...I've heard of swimmers ear, but never knew anyone that really had it before. I hope they get feeling better. I bet the Walgreen's workers are wondering what the hek is going on at your house..I hope things turn around soon.

Becca said...

Oh you guys I am so sorry. I think that is the hardest thing about being a parent is having sick kids. What a bummer. I hope things clear up soon. How are you feeling? You look awesome in the photos. So exciting it's a little girl!!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Man that stinks! I hope they get better soon so we can play!!!

Tanya said...

Yikes! I'm sorry the boys are so sick, that's sad. I hope they feel better and that you can get some rest!