Friday, August 22, 2008

Milestones

Yesterday Ammon hit one of the "big" milestones,  his first day of Kindergarten.   I can't believe my little boy is old enough for school!  I have had so much fun having Ammon home with me for the past 5 1/2 years,  I was very hesitant to send him to school (especially to all day Kindergarten).  Ammon was very excited and wasn't sad at all.  I, on the other hand, cried all week, got teared up at 'Meet the Teacher' day and cried at the bus stop.  Day two of Kindergarten was much better, but I wonder if I will ever stop worrying about him while he's gone. 



Goofy Ammon posing for a classic first day of school picture.


Waiting for the school bus to come.


Ammon getting on the school bus....


and waving goodbye.


Okay, I confess, I followed the bus to the school and took pictures of Ammon in his classroom.  I also cried in the car on the way home.

The first day went great and Ammon came home sooo excited to tell us all about his day.  His favorite thing about Kindergarten was school lunch.  Ammon got to put in his own lunch account number, choose a main dish (cheese pizza), drink (pink milk that he chose thinking it was strawberry, but to his disappointment it was actually white milk) and a side dish (a chocolate chip cookie).  He also had good behavior and "stayed on green" all day (which is a good thing).  I think maybe we will survive this year after all.

11 comments:

karin said...

I am TERRIFIED of Kindergarten. I am glad to hear/see that it is okay and that he LOVED it (because that is what really matters, right?).

Ann said...

Kindergarten is wonderful! Your tears will dry up pretty soon, I bet being pregnant doesn't help that, huh?

Our kinder teachers do the color system for behavior, too. I think it works really well.

Aleese and Scott said...

Wow the first week of school! Looks like he did amazing! I am sure I will do the same thing when I am sending Barrick off to school. It just shows that you love spending time with him and that is how it should be. Your a great mom!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Such a big kid! Did you follow the bus again...such a good and concerned mom!?! Cute pictures of Ammon. I am already having anxiety over kindergarten and we still have two years to go. I KNOW I will be one of those sobbing moms who just won't let their kid out of that 'one last hug' grip.

Mike and Kim said...

Sad about kindergarten? More like sad that your pregnancy is resetting the staying-at-home clock just now that you've finally got one of them out of the house for most of the day!

Just kidding, I'm sure I'll cry once Meggie starts pre-school in the fall.

Don't let Uncle Dan ever tell Ammon what his dad used to choose for lunch every day in junior high, or he'll never make such responsible decisions again.

Steven and Stephanie said...

Well, don't feel bad you would think by now I wouldn't get teared up. But I did!!! And the worrying never stops. Not that you don't get excited to have time to yourself, that part is pretty awesome, but I still worry all day!! :)

Kristen said...

I am sure it is so hard! Hang in there. And I have a feeling those five years go really fast even though the days are so long sometimes.

The Obergs said...

hahah, Shauni I was going to ask if you followed the school bus.... I don't blame you, I think any mother would. He looks so tiny to be getting on that big school bus all by himself. I guess you should be glad that he was excited to go to school. i think it would be harder to deal with his tears than yours.

Two more things to be glad about with your pregnancy:

You are one of only a handful of people who actually make pregnancy look good.

and you have an excuse for having a belly. I guess you've never had to deal with that, but I'm looking forward to having and a reason for my "paunch". hahah

Susan said...

Oh Ammon looks so cute--what a big step--All day school and riding the bus. I think it is so funny you followed the school bus. It's hard to let them go isn't it!! But it makes it a little easier knowing they are having a great time and enjoying the experience.

Lisa said...

Ammon will do great in kindergarten. Just think how much smarter he is going to be cause he goes all day. Right?

The Teeples Times said...

I am so excited for you!! All day is even better. More time for you to spend with baby girl (do you have a name picked out yet?) We decided to hold Dallin back and part of me is happy and part of me is sad :( I hope he stays on green and loves it!