Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Animal Adventures!

After spending most of July vacationing with our family and friends in Utah,  we have reluctantly returned back to Iowa and Colby has once again started school.  We had so much fun on our trip, and had so many adventures, it is going to take me weeks to get our blog up to date.  One of the highlights of our trip for the boys was all of the animals that they encountered.  Ammon and Carter are 100 % boy and somehow managed to find a snake, salamander, and deer without even leaving their grandparent's houses. Here is an account of the many animals we encountered while in Utah.



When we visited great Grandma and Grandpa Stewart on the farm, Uncle Slade helped the boys find a snake in the backyard. Unfortunately, Carter was a little too brave and ended up with his first snake bite.  After he was bandaged up he went right back outside and started playing with the snake again. 


After the snake bite incident, Grandpa Stewart showed the boys how to hold the snake up by it's head so it couldn't bite them. 


Don't worry, we washed their hands really well after this adventure!


We visited Hogle Zoo with Grandma Stewart, Aunt Leslee, Uncle Scott, Aunt Aleese and lots of cousins. Out of all the animals we saw this day, the boys were the most excited about the SNAKES!


Ammon was amazed at this huge Python.


We also visited the Living Planet Aquarium and saw lots of fish and sharks! 
We were able to touch Sting Rays, Starfish and a Sea Cucumber.


The kids discovered a salamander in Grandma Frost's window well (who knows why they were in the window well, but they were excited about this discovery). Their cousins Logan and Baileigh were good sports and helped the boys wash the salamander and build a house for it.


A couple of days later, they rediscovered the salamander and were just as excited about it as the first time they found it!


Although Ammon and Carter love animals (especially reptiles) I am sorry to say that our only pet is going to remain our fish (or rather our empty aquarium because our fish keep dying). Maybe someday we will get a dog....  definitely never a snake... or salamander.


6 comments:

karin said...

I am glad they had all those animal adventures at grandparents' houses instead of yours. I feel the same way about pets, I tell Bryan we can get a dog when he can take care of it or if we are done having kids.

Looks like your boys got a lot of cousin time, I hope they are recovering from being with family. It takes us at least a day but usually 2 to get back into the swing of things.

chunkymonkey said...

Love the do-rag! And fun to visit when ScottE and fam are!

Mike and Kim said...

Good job on posting already, I'm still recuperating. Maybe this weekend.

I hope that was also Carter's last snake bite.

Lisa said...

I here you with the catching up on all that was done in Utah on the blog! I keep putting it off. I'm glad your back. Ammon and Carter are the cutest little boys. That baby girl is going to have fun being surrounded by all that 'boy'!

The Obergs said...

I can't believe how close everyone is to that snake and are you kidding me, Carter actually got bit by it? Oh man, boys are a different breed than girls. I would have been a mile away as soon as the snake was found. I like how you broke up the Utah trip. It took me forever to get the motivation to actually want to post any of the pictures.

Natali Jolley said...

looks like you had fun on our little vacation! We NEED to get together SOON and leave the boys with the kids and have a girls night! When we get together you can tell me all about your trip.