This morning I ran in the Dam to Dam 20K race (for those of you who aren't math wizards, that is 12.4 miles!). The Dam to Dam race starts at the Saylorville Lake dam and finishes in downtown Des Moines. This year there were 4,800 participants- making it the largest 20K in the nation. It was a beautiful morning and I reached my goal of running the entire distance. I had a finish time of 1 hour 51 minutes (that's a pace of 8 minute 56 seconds per mile), my finish time was faster than I expected- so I was happy with myself. The bad news is, by the time I crossed the 12 mile marker I was ready to crawl to the finish line. The good news is, I didn't crawl across the finish line!

My running partner, Celeste, and I on the homestretch. I am smiling because I can see the finish line!


Me and my boys after the race. (the kids were actually registered for a 100 meter race, which is why they are in their running clothes. Ammon threw up 5 times before they met me at the finish line so we decided we'd better skip the kid's race and take him home.)
6 comments:
What a great accomplishment! I am very impressed, I could never run to run.
congratulations shauni! Nothing feels quite as good as running a race and doing better than expected. I'm really impressed with your 12.4 miles. I've only gotten to 7 miles and felt like I was going to die. Also, I'm a little behind, but your campout looked great, and those s'mores looked delicious. Well, I'm sure you guys are pretty close to Utah right about now, so I will just plan on seeing you guys this week. See ya later!
Wow, Shauni, great job! You're inspiring.
Are you guys going to Utah in August for Grandpa's 90th birthday party? (We'll be there.)
That is awesome and a great time! Wa-hoo!
I just read up on your blogs and can't believe we didn't see you guys last weekend. I didn't know you were there! We drove through the night and had about 48 short and packed hours there but wish we'd gotten to visit.
Wow I'm impressed! I have always said that I am not built to run...walking is my speed. That could be an excuse. I loved seeing you at the wedding. I hope we can get together when you are back in Utah.
Shauni, you rock! You go, woman! Now I want to run a race.
Post a Comment