Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mother's day

Mother's day this year was great! Colby made me breakfast before I had to go to work (okay, the work part wasn't that great). When I got home, the boys gave me gifts. I got some new running clothes and the official Mother's day present from preschool (Ammon's little handprints with a cute poem). When I opened Ammon's present, I actually cried. It just made me feel like a real Mom. After we ate our free to go from Macaroni Grill (long story, but my boss bought our dinner), we decided to go on a bike ride. We rode up the Neil Smith trail to Saylorville Lake and it was beautiful! It was such a nice day. Isn't Iowa beautiful? Kind of makes you want to visit, ehh?

The bike ride ended up being longer than we anticipated (when all was said and done we had gone 12 miles), so when we got to the river we got the boys out of the trailer. They had fun throwing rocks in the water and running around on the grass.


Throwing anything they can get their hands on into the water.


I love this picture, it looks like it could go on a postcard or something.


The spillway was very full, and pretty intimidating to watch. The water would splash clear up to the fence. It made me nervous just standing above it.

7 comments:

karin said...

Wow, towing 2 kids behind you on a 12 mile bike ride is quite impressive. Sounds like you had a great day.

shauni said...

Karin, I have to confess, Colby is the one who did the towing! I also thought is was impressive.

The Obergs said...

happy mothers' day shauni. It sounds like your boys made it a wonderful day for you. Saylorsville Lake is so beautfiul, when we come visit you'll have to take us there..... :) (we will come someday). P.S. I'm sorry to hear about Sylvester Girl, when you get a replacement you'll have to keep the name going, it's a fun one!

Unknown said...

Wow, Iowa does look lovely. Quite the change from all the snow pictures we've been seeing.

Happy mothers' day!

chunkymonkey said...

I am simply impressed with the 12 miles! And it is very pretty. I thought Iowa was just fields and fields with charming farmhouses and occasional John Deers. I didn't know there were lakes or spillways or anything like that. How lovely!

Mike and Kim said...

We would love to come visit Iowa. We'll have to see if it is in the cards in the next couple of months.

Mike started working out this week (he worked out last year for a week as well), but I don't think he could go on a 12 mile bike ride. Did the kids like being towed?

P.S. We hear that Carolee is kicking Colby's butt in their fantasy soccer league.

Frost Family said...

When i saw pic #4 the only thing i could think of is "sudd-up". Iowa is as nice as i remember, hopefully we will visit this summer. We are really looking forward to you guys traveling out here in June!